Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

v4.5 for the mac

I got a message on my blackberry pearl 8110 that i should now update its software to v4.5 (i still have v4.3) but i sync to my mac at work.  Do I have to upgrade on a pc like it says or can i get this software from my mac?
Retired

Re: v4.5 for the mac

A PC is currently required to update your handheld software.  If you have access to one, you can simply plug it in (via USB) and visit www.blackberry.com/upgrades using Internet Explorer 5.5 or higher.
New Contributor

Since I have never connected my blackberry to a PC, could that be a problem?  I only ever synch to my mac at work, while I do have a PC at home.  You don't see any reason for concern?
Retired

Since you'd be connecting to the PC only to perform this update (i.e. not syncing like you do on your Mac) there should be no issues.  The process will automatically backup and restore your data, settings, etc.  Provided there is no corruption (if you aren't experiencing any issues right now, there probably isn't) your only worry would be a power outage happening midway through the process.

If you're not comfortable with this, you can download and install Desktop Manager 4.7 on your PC.  This program allows you to perform a full backup of the device (not the same as a sync).  If you choose this path, be sure that you select 'Personal' as opposed to 'Corporate' during the install and avoid using any of the DTM sync features (so as not to mess with your Mac synchronization).

Contributor

I'm on a trial run of my first BB (8220) and just spent hours trying to figure out how to even get PocketMac to RUN on my Mac, to say nothing of working. Your post clearly and concisely addressed my questions by saying that I can update and backup with a PC without precluding the (remote) possibility of using a desktop program on the Mac that actually works.

Now if only we Mac users could be allowed to come in from the cold.  If the sales guy told me it wouldn't work on my Mac I'm not sure I would have bought it.  I'm another one finally switching from a Palm to a BB, and not having sync-ability on my Mac makes me pretty nervous.  Media and tunes don't matter much to me (yet, anyways); what I want is to know that my events and contacts are secure, and to be able to enter data on the 'puter instead of tapping on the BB.

Definitely a kudos moment. 

New Contributor

OK so if you have no PC just a MAC there is no way to upgrade my software through Pocket MAC ????
New Contributor

I, too, am fed up with the "urgent" emails from RIM to upgrade NOW, only to find out that unless you have a PC, you're pretty much SOL.  But no worries.  I will have to do without the updates, and I'll get an iPhone as soon as my contract allows me to purchase a new phone.  Don't get me wrong ... I love my Blackberry. How did I ever live without it?  But with the dismissive attitude I feel I'm getting from the Blackberry company, apparently my business isn't important to them.  And from what I can see on this forum, I'm not alone.

I work with Windows at work, and because of the security problems, no software can be downloaded on the computers without authorization. My personal home computers are Macs, and I have no need to spend a lot of money for a piece of software that will give me the privilege of running Windows on them.

As one person already wrote, when the new iPhone comes out, I'm outta here! 

Highlighted

Same here - when my contract is up, I'm switching to an iPhone.  What kind of business model only allows for updating the phone from a WIndows PC?  I have a Windows PC at work as well, but they are very locked down and therefore I can't install the update from the PC (because it requires ADMIN rights on the PC - again, WHAT THE?!?  The older updates didn't need ADMIN rights, now the newest one does - just to extract and run the update to the phone.)

I had very good experiences with my Blackberry, but lately, especially with a real lack of Mac support, I'm leaving.  And from the looks of what I've read here and other places recently, I'm not the only one.