Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9650
My Carrier: Verizon

v6... HATE IT :(... i wanna downgrade back to v5!!!

[ Edited ]

i seriously want to downgrade back to v5!!!! someone PLEASE help... im uninstalling this v6 desktop manager from my computer, do i have to re-install my desktop manager from the disk that came with my phone? and everytime i go to the BlackBerry website and click v5, it does nothing to help me go back to v5... someone please help me! im about to call tech support as well to see if i should do a hard reset of my phone back to factory settings... if anyone has any help please email me (edit out personal information) Please i need official, direct help! thanks!!!

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: v6... HATE IT :(... i wanna downgrade back to v5!!!

Hello,

From a PC, you can install any OS package to a BB via this procedure:

Note that while written for "reload", it can be used to upgrade, downgrade, or reload -- it all depends on the OS package you download and install to your PC. You can even use a different carriers OS package by simply inserting, between steps 1 and 2, the deletion, on your PC, of a file named VENDOR.XML. Be sure that you remove, from your PC, any other BB device OS packages as having more than one installed to the PC can cause conflicts with this procedure.

If you are on MAC, you are limited to only your carriers sanctioned OS packages...but can still use any levels that they currently sanction. See this procedure:

• KB19915How to perform a clean reload of BlackBerry smartphone application software using BlackBerry Desktop Software

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook

[ Edited ]

tashabk wrote:

if anyone has any help please email me (edit out personal information) Please i need official, direct help! thanks!!!

If you want official, direct help, you need to call Verizon.

We're all officially unofficial.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

i've tried that and it keeps sending me to the upgrade for v6... i have to get back on the phone with Verizon tech support to get to Blackberry.... why cant i find a number to Blackberry tech support? 

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Oh that's right...VZW only publishes their currently supported version. So, you'll have to use the steps outlined for using a different carriers OS package and get the one you want.

tashabk wrote:

why cant i find a number to Blackberry tech support?

Because there is no such thing. Well, not free anyway. ALL support starts with the carriers, who can escalate a case into RIM at no fee to you...you have no way to do that without your carrier.

Good luck!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook

The most recent 5.0 software release was 5.0.0.1030.

Device operating system releases are "released" by specific carriers once they have certified and trained their support techs, but still, you are able to load to any carrier's same model by following the instructions below.

See the link below, for the download and simple installation instructions.

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=FC3CF452D3DA8402BEBB765225CE8C0E

Do a backup of your device first, using Desktop Manager > Backup. Close Desktop Manager upon completion.

1. Download the OS file ABOVE to the PC then install it to the PC by running (double clicking) the file you downloaded.
2. Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file named "vendor.xml."
3. Plug in BB and double click on "Loader.exe." It's located in the same place as the above vendor.xml file.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

thanks but this doesn't seem to be working Smiley Sad and i spoke to Verizon and apparently they spoke to Blackberry and Blacberry doesn't support converting back to the  old OS UGH im still trying to find a loophole Smiley Sad my phone is running so slow and sucky now and its annoying GRRR i shoulda never did this upgrade! i wonder if i go to the store will they give me a new phone witout the updated OS v6 since im still under warranty.. thanks alot tho

Highlighted
Hall of Famer III

Hello again,

I'm having a tough time understanding why you are having so much trouble with the instructions we've given you. We've both told you how to use another carriers OS package, and the download portal provides you access to all carriers download sites...so you can download the 5.x package you want from a different carrier and then use the instructions we've provided to install it.

When you reply with "this doesn't seem to be working", that really leaves us to just guess what happened when you tried. If you instead tell us, step by step (going along with the instructions we gave you), the things you do and the exact results from them, perhaps we can help you get it right.

It can be done...VZW will of course say that they don't support it...that's because they've dropped support for the 5.x OS and now only support the 6.x OS. That has nothing to do, however, with what OS you actually can install to your BB.

Let us know if you'd like further help.

New Contributor

ok you're right... im letting myself get upset cuz my phones is running so stupid now *deep breath* ok.. trying this again... so far im installiing the desktop manager for v5... its asking for the setup permissions on my computer... is this when i should delete the vendor file off my computer?

Hall of Famer III

Why are you installing an old Desktop Manager version? You can use the most recent Desktop Software from the RIM download site:

You install that first, then install the OS package, then delete VENDOR.XML, then launch Loader.EXE (note...other than to take a backup, you DO NOT launch the Desktop Software for this). Follow the instructions slowly and carefully...you are already off track. And, if you have installed/removed the Desktop Software too many times, it can get messed up...and the process to clean that up is even more tedious...

Good luck!