Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

verizon sms limited to 100 words on Tour?

Hello everyone, I am curious.. Just switched to Verizon from ATT, and I cannot type more than 100 words, something wrong here? Is it the Blackberry or Verizon issue? I was able to type and send plenty long sms before.

Thank you

Regular Contributor
My Device: Storm 9530

Re: verizon sms limited to 100 words on Tour?

100 words or 100 characters? Not sure about ATT, but SMS on the Verizon network allows for 160 characters. That includes spaces and symbols. MMS allows for a pretty much unlimited amout of characters (I haven't found an end yet).

Photobucket
Highlighted
New Contributor

its limited to 160 characters because it is, after all, called Short Message Service Smiley Wink

however, you can send longer text messages as MMS

Contributor

Thank you guys, it is only 160 caracters via Verizon, I was able to send very long ones with ATT blackberries.

Amazing differences.

Both companies pretty much suck in different ways

Regular Contributor
My Device: Tour 9630

From everything I have read about SMS messages, they are always limited to 160 characters. However, I did find this information on the now.sms web site. It is from a discussion of sms messages. This is a copy of part of a reply to the length of sms messages.

"when a simple text SMS message is longer than 160 characters, a technique called concatenation is used to send longer messages. Concatenation of SMS messages is defined in the ETSI GSM 03.40 specification.

A single logical message is sent as multiple SMS messages with a 6 byte header followed by up to 153 characters of text per message."

This may be why you were able to send 'very long' sms messages with your ATT Blackberry.

Regular Contributor
My Device: Storm 9530

Also, when I had an LG phone on Verizon I could send as long of a txt as I wanted so long as it was only to Verizon customers. If I sent say a 200 character message to someone on T-Mobile, it would abruptly stop at 160 char no matter what. But that same txt could be sent in it's entireity to anyone on the Verizon network. And there was no option for SMS or MMS, it was just text message.
Photobucket
Contributor

there is an application that you can download called beyond 160..it lets you sms beyond 160...its great!
Regular Contributor

where did you find this download?

Beyond 160 is found at mobihand.com  The application does work, but I would suggest you have it emailed to your BB.  Then download it from the email.  If you use your computer and sync cable, I found it gets buggy.  Also, you cannot have it installed on your BB and then try to download it from the email.  You will get error messages.  Lastly, in order to use it, I would suggest you move it from the Applications and into the home screen.  You send your SMS directly from the "Beyond 160" application program.

Regular Contributor

It works but I have 2 problems: when I type the message reaching 160 characters, I change it to beyond 160, all message typed is gone. Second problem is in the SMS mode, it won't allow to enter the number but have to get from the contact. i dont know if it is the software bugs or I did something wrong?