Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Pearl Flip 8230 CDMA
My Carrier: Bell Mobility

voice dialing keeps coming on / phone becomes perma muted

Pearl Flip 8230 on Bell Mobility

v4.6.1.182 (Platform 3.3.0.64)

Forgive me if I'm omitting any other needed information.

Every so often the voice dialing app will come on by itself, prompting me to say a command. (On a side note, it never actually accepts any of my commands ever. But that's not my issue right now.)

Even after I close it, a few seconds later it will pop up again on its own.

I thought maybe it was a stuck side key, but I disabled it, assigning it to nothing.

The phone becomes muted as a result of the above. I cannot hear the DTMF beeps when dialing, I cannot hear the ringing, I cannot hear the other person, and the other person cannot hear me.

Needless to say this has made using my phone pretty much impossible.

Any help is appreciated.

Super Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: voice dialing keeps coming on / phone becomes perma muted

Have you done a battery pull (taking the battery out while the phone is on, waiting a few seconds, then putting it back in)? Always the first thing to try and fix "glitches"/keypad/trackball/button issues. Most times, this does the trick. I've sometimes had to do this a few times before my BB "calmed down".  

New Contributor

yes ive done several battery pulls

unfortunately it still happens

thanks

New Contributor

just updated the OS

am now running v4.6.1.284 (platform 3.3.0.92)

did not fix the issue

it still happens

when i take the phone out of quiet mode and put it into normal mode i can hear the DTMF tones when dialing for the first 2 digits. on the 3rd digit it goes quiet.

DTMF tones are no longer audible. ditto my voice to the other caller and the other caller's voice to me.

this is getting ridiculous

My Device: 8330
My Carrier: verizon

I got exactly the same thing. The “VOICE DIALING” is killing me. It can be fixed by either plug on the charger; take the battery off; or reboot by holding the end button. For the last two days it  happens quite often. I cannot either receive or call out. It happens not long after I installed the Google package including the voice search. But it didn't help after I removed the google application.

My Device: Not Specified

Did you ever find out what was causing the voice dialing to keep coming on?  My daughter's phone is doing the same thing and she can't make or receive calls.  She has taken it in for service twice and now they are telling her that if she takes it in the bathroom when she showers that will cause moisture in the phone.  She doesn't take it in the bathroom when she showers so I think they are just making things up now.

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8330
My Carrier: Sprint

I too have been having the same problem.  I took it to Sprint and they did nothing.  I called tech support and they are sending me a new phone.  They don't know what the problem is, maybe the downloads I've done has put some sort of virus on my phone.  The girl at the sprint store, told me when I get a new phone, make sure I only transfer my address.  Don't transfer email, etc to the phone.    I have been dealing and inquiring about the problem for several months.  I think you may have to just break down and get another one, see if your carrier will replace it.

New Contributor
My Device: 8520
My Carrier: t-mobile

Re: voice dialing keeps coming on / phone becomes perma muted - screws up playing songs

[ Edited ]

so .. over 3 years later ... I've got exact same problem.  its driving me crazy!!!  i've tried everything everyone else above have tried, except - I have not gone to a store and talked to any idiots who want to tell me something about moisture, etc. I LOVE my BB 8520 and have been using it for over 5 years now and refuse to get any other so called "smart" phone.  the BB 8520 is the most practical functional easy to hold and use workhorse phone ever made.  all these new phones are just too much.  yea ... millions have iphone - BUT, millions just dont need all that or the old "stupid" phones.  there is a huge market for this practical phone .... if only BB new how to market this group of people like me or all over the world who just dont need a super "smart' phone but need/want good relaible phone without all the other **bleep** we DONT want or need.  The BB 8520 is PERFECT!

so now .... how can I FIX this voice dialing thing that keeps magically coming on ....

i've removed battery to reset several time s

ive made sure I have most updated version

PLEASE ... any good help out there to fix this once and for all so i can go back to loving/using my BB???

thank you!

Jake 

Edit: Phone, Personal information removed. At no time should you provide any personal information to any other community member. Please review the Community Guidelines and Terms and Conditions of Use. for further information

Highlighted
Solutions: 6,396
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: voice dialing keeps coming on / phone becomes perma muted - screws up playing songs

lol, really all that commentary and criticism just to ask a question?

Are you using a holster or pouch or case on your 8520?

(and I agree the 8520 was a great model... but it's your opinion that it's the most practical and easy to use ever made. I've used several modesl ths ince the 8520 which proved much more practical and workhorse, but that is my opinion.)

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code