Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

voice dialing

My voice dialing is only recognizing numbers, not names.. language is set for english
Regular Contributor
My Device: Verizon 8330

Re: voice dialing

Voice dailing pulls the information from your contacts - make sure that you don't have any special characthers like spaces before the names etc..

What happens if you put in a contact just by first name etc? like dave, with 555-555-5555 etc?

Does it say, please repeat?

I'm having the same problem.  My voice dialing hardly recognizes anything, and I think I'm speaking very clearly.  I have no accent.  I think one time it gave a few options, but none of the correct. 

I've had third-party voice-recognition programs on a previous Treo and it worked fine.  This one isn't working at all for me. 

I did try putting in a simple one-name entry and it found it.  But everything else comes back no matches found.

My Contact list was populated by my Outlook files.  Could this be the problem?

Contributor

You could try going to your options screen>scroll to Voice Dialing>scroll to Sensitivity and change that setting, see if this solves your problem. Also, any background noice can throw off voice dialing. Good Luck.
New Contributor

I have the same problem. If I use voice dial to dial a number it works great but when I try to use it for names all I get is an option list of three names...and all of them are wrong. I don't have an accent and I only use voice dial in the car. I tested it at home where there is no outside noise and still get the same thing. Example: I say Call Tony and get 1) Tommy, 2) Elly, 3) William...what the?!? I've tried playing with the settings but still doesn't work. What gives? Is there anyway to record a voice tag to make the whole dialing process easier? I had a HTC phone with a similar function and although it did get names wrong, it still got more right than my Curve. Help!

I am having the same problem.  I even tried getting a new phone and it has the same problem.  When I use voice dailing to dial numbers, it works, most of the time but if I try to call a name, it hardly ever works.  As a matter of fact, it only recognizes "call mom".  So, if I want to call mom, great, otherwise, it's wortless....  mind you, I like my mom, but I have other people that I would like to call.  I even talked to some people at RIM (the Blackberry manufacturer) when I was at CTIA and they told me that "voice dailing" does not work very well.  I understand not working very well, but what they have is completely wortless and no one can support it.  I can't believe that RIM would even advertise this feature on their phone.  I know all about getting checkmarks for marketing purposes, but at least it should work at least 50% of the time.  I am really interested in upgrading to the 8900 (Bold) when it comes out but will probably move to annother manufacturer unless RIM does something about this.  I am surprised that more people are not upset about this, especially now that California requres "hands free" operation while you are driving. RIM... are you listening?
Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

While this is not a "fix" in any sense of the word, but if you can't get it fixed....

There is a third party app named Vlingo that is a voice recognition program. I am very impressed with it. You can call from the phone book, speak emails, tasks, and tell the browser what to search for. I have used it for about three weeks and it very accurate on voice dialing from the phone book. It takes a little time for it to learn speech patterns for dictating emails, etc. Try searching for threads about it on this forum.

Hope this helps!

It's free!

http://vlingo.com/

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

New Contributor

I have only had my Blackberry for a couple weeks, but have had no problem.  I do have first and last name.  If i had a name in there first name only I have had a problem with it giving me a list of 3 and most were wrong.  I switched and added last name to all and now it works properly. 

Great, Thanks....  that seems to work a lot better... You would think that RIM would put that information in the manual or even inform their support people of it.
New Contributor

I am not certain I shouldn't post this as a new thread but hopefully someone can help me. My voice dialing is semi working. It will bring up numbers but once it tries to repeat them it is really distorted and you can barely understand it. Anyone have any ideas?

Any help is greatly appreciated.