Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Telstra

water damage

On boxing day, i went kayaking and i was capsied in a fresh water lake. I grabbed my BB out of the water and pulled it apart dried it down with a towel as best as i could at the time. Foolishly thinking all the water was all gone i tried turning it on (from this i believe i have short the curcuit out). After it didnt turn on i pulled it apart again and left it to dry with the screen facing up. After we got back i left it out and open to dry. I did after a while put it in a bag of rice to absorb the moisture and left it in there for 2 to 3 days and it still hasn't came back to life. I had also notice when drying it first at the lake, a red square on the battery (not sure but i beleive this means the phone has some water damaged and the battery may not work.  I Have also to no svsil tried charging it over night but nothing happened and the phone was still cold.  I am in Melbourne, Victoria in Australia is there thing i can do or do i cut my loses and get a phone???

Super Contributor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Telus

Re: water damage

A red square means there was contact with water.   Thus you might have lost your warranty.  On iPhones this was a huge problem because tropical warm weather can set off the sensor (as well as leaving it in your pocket).

At this point, I recommend bringing the phone to a local repair depot.  Hoping for a free assessment.

I see your profile has the older 9900.... perhaps it's time for a Q10.

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: water damage

My wife once went swimming in a lake with her 8100 in her pocket. She was in the water for 15 minutes. When she got out she realized what she had done and removed the battery, sim card, and memory card and left it sit in the hot sun (it was 100F outside) all day. She put it back together and it worked perfectly.

The moral of the story is you MUST dry it completely before pushing any button or powering it on. Attempting to use it while it's still wet will definitely fry it. There is likely little you can do but I would definitely see if you can try another battery just on the off chance the battery went bad.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!