Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Torch
My Carrier: AT&T

while on a phone call the phone dials random numbers and symbols - anyone know why and how to stop it?

Trusted Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook

Re: while on a phone call the phone dials random numbers and symbols - anyone know why and how to stop it?

Does this happen when the device is on speaker phone?
New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Torch
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: while on a phone call the phone dials random numbers and symbols - anyone know why and how to stop it?

No, it happens while on the handset.  And it's not my face accidentally touching the screen, it happens when I'm holding the phone away and can see the numbers/symbols getting typed in.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook

Is there a screen protector on the device? Is there a 3rd party application installed on the device that is dailing numbers? Maybe the Touchscreen Sensitivity is to high.

<Touchscreen Sensitivity>

Options/Typing and Input/Touchscreen Sensitivity default is:

Tap Interval 400

Hover peroid 500.

Highlighted
My Device: 9330
My Carrier: Verizon

This has been annoying me since about 2 days after I got my 9330.

RIM does not seem to see this as a design flaw.

So, the short answer is get a different phone.

The official answer I have gotten from RIM (after my provider had no good answer) was to lock the screen. - or go hands free.  Unfrotunately for some of us, our phone has security policies on it that lock it after a period of no screen activity. So if you lock the screen while on a longer call, the phone will password lock. Then if you need to access any app, you have to A) unlock the screen and then B)unlock the phone.

From my observations, the sensor that should detect if you are holding the phone to your head is not set correctly.  It errs on the side of thinking you are not holding the phone up to your head.  This allows the screen to activate (This would be fantastic if it worked correctly.)  The sensor on my phone is on the right side. So, if you hold the phone with your left hand, it sees light easier and activates the screen.  Then, the motion of the phone about your ear is what is dialing. - we have called it either a RIM job or an ear dial.