Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Not Specified

Re: why can't you turn off the new message indicator on any of the blackberry devices?

I am experiencing the same issue. It seems that you have an either/or choice in the form of a little icon at the top of the screen:

Either knowing that there is new and unread email or knowing how many unread messages you have

This does seem ridiculous to me. I completely agree with the time management argument. Constantly knowing of new email and feeling compelled to open them is a tremendous hinderance to productivity. Self-control only goes so far, a much easier (seemingly) solution would be to simply remove the icon all together.

Another use case: vacation. Some employees have only 1 telephone for personal and work correspondence. What if that employee goes on vacation and does not want to have anything to do with work, but still needs the data service, and the telephone.

The only option in this case seems to be to have the system administrator completely remove the employee from the network.

Has anyone found a solution to this?

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: why can't you turn off the new message indicator on any of the blackberry devices?

evanr2 wrote:

It seems that you have an either/or choice in the form of a little icon at the top of the screen:

Either knowing that there is new and unread email or knowing how many unread messages you have

This does seem ridiculous to me. I completely agree with the time management argument. Constantly knowing of new email and feeling compelled to open them is a tremendous hinderance to productivity. Self-control only goes so far, a much easier (seemingly) solution would be to simply remove the icon all together.

Well, just do it.
home screen >> messages >> menu >> options >> General options
Display Message Count: None
Display New Message Indicator: No

evanr2 wrote:

Another use case: vacation. Some employees have only 1 telephone for personal and work correspondence. What if that employee goes on vacation and does not want to have anything to do with work, but still needs the data service, and the telephone.

The only option in this case seems to be to have the system administrator completely remove the employee from the network.

Has anyone found a solution to this?

It it's BES you can modify what mail folders are reconciled with the Desktop Manager. You can desactivate the Inbox for example.
Another way of doing things is to deactivate the relevant Service Books :
home screen >> options >> Advanced options >> Service Book
and delete the ones that begin with Desktop (for example SYNC CMIME CICAL OTASL). You can later undelete them with the menu the day you want to be in contact with your company world.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Contributor

yes, the email icon is my only complaint about blackberry.  the best solution i've found (and i've tried them all) is to go under Manage Connections/Mobile Network Options/ Data Services: OFF.  if the data is off on your phone you will not get any emails until you turn the data back on.  then the good news is that when you turn it back on, all messages will arrive just as they would have.  the downside is that you can't use any other data functions (such as internet) on your phone while data is turned off.  phone calls and text still work.

this is a much better option than Mail/Options/Email Settings/Send Email to Handheld: NO  -  if you stop email this way it will NOT come through later when you turn it on.  also, if someone updates our calendar while this is turned to NO, then you will not EVER get these updates to your phone. 

please let me know if you ever find a better solution.   been working on this for two years Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Visitor

I too would love to see this changed.  On my old Blackberry, the 8703, I could turn off both the new message indicator and the count.  On the Curve, it is one or the other but not both.

On the Curve, If Display Message Count: (DMC) is set to None then Display New Message Indicator: (DNMI) automatically gets set to Yes and is hidden.  Set DMC to Unread, DNMI appears and you can set it to Yes or No.

I am in 100% aggrement with the thread starter, I check my email when I check my email, not when my BB tempts me to.