Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Forums Advisor III
My Device: AT&T BOLD OS 4.6.0.167

Re: why can't you turn off the new message indicator on any of the blackberry devices?

With all due respect if you don't want to be notified in any way that you have new email, then why do you have email set up on the phone. ?
~Lorrie~ Master of All Things Blackberry!
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: why can't you turn off the new message indicator on any of the blackberry devices?

time management.  i'd rather focus on what is important instead of urgent.  email can seem urgent because of a flash or alert.  our company has had great productivity gains by turning off all alerts, chimes, etc. on microsoft outlook.  wish i could do the same on my bb.

want to focus on what is important instead of being distracted by a flash or a chime.  allows me to do what is important in that moment and to check my email a few times a day when appropriate.  at our company email is not an urgent medium.  if it needs to be addressed right now we call, otherwise we stay focused on what is important at that moment and periodically check email. 

thanks for asking Smiley Happy

as you can tell i'm passionate about this stuff.  want to control my email vs. having it control me.

Forums Advisor III
My Device: AT&T BOLD OS 4.6.0.167

How about some self control? Wean yourself gradually. Only check them once an hour. Then once every two hours until you can stop running to it like a drowning puppy every time you get an email. The world will not end. I promise.
~Lorrie~ Master of All Things Blackberry!
Highlighted
New Contributor

You can turn off the indicator light just for the e-mail without moving or creating folders. Simply go to "Profiles", then "Advanced", then select the profile you would like to turn off the indicator light for. Once you select a profile, select "Messages[Desktop]", or "Messages[youremail@email.com]". Now you'll click "Repeat Notification", then select "None".

you'll have to follow this same process for every profile you do not want the indicator light for. Hope this helps.

Contributor

little harsh, anyway, don't be a hater.  the system is the solution.  self discipline will only get you so far. 

seemed like it would be an easy thing to turn off an alert, for some reason blackberry doesn't allow it???

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

hello,

can you sum up what is your situation today ?
=> you don't have the little icon with number in the system tray up there
=> you have less icons on your home screen (they have been moved to a folder which color you can choose to match the wallpaper)
=> you still have a message icons that allow you to go in the messages application
=> when you receive a new mail, the previous icon gets a little red star
=> when you see the red star, you feel an irresistible compulsory urge to check what is the new mail you just received

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Contributor

sounds about right. simply wanted to shut off any indicator and does not seem to be possible. got to get the little red icons. not bad, but you'd think ou could shut off indication if you wanted 
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

desactivate the phone numbering from the homescreen
then hide the messages icon : you don't need it.

on the home screen, I just hit M to view messages. In fact, I only use two icons : "media" and "manage connection". All others can be accessed by the home screen keyboard shortcuts (A for addressbook, B for browser, and so on).

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Contributor

not sure i understand.  can you explain what you mean by "deactivate the phone numbering"?
Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

He means deactivate "dialing from homescreen" option.

Green key menu key, select options, general options, dial from homescreen No

Thanks,

If you need more info please ask!  If not please resolve the thread using the options by the Kudos’ star, Just place the check in the Post that answered your question, Thanks   

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter