Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Developer
My Device: (BlackBerry Z10)-> Q10/Passport Dual Use
Accepted Solution

5MP Playbook Camera Blackscreen - Errors - Hardware or NDK Game Caused Glitch?

[ Edited ]

Hi. I own a 64 GB Playbook. Last week my outer 5MP camera stopped working. When I accessed the camera application the screen was black.The camera record button and camera/video buttons appear. 

The black screen of doom Smiley Sad

Picture Cam

If I pressed the button to snap a picture, the button would become disabled and hang for about 20 seconds. No image is visible from this camera. The screen is completely black.

Video Cam
The video screen on the 5MP cam also is black, and I can only access the context menu (top), and record button, and cam/video toggle buttons.

I cannot view anything from the camera.

Things that do work: able to switch view to front facing 3MP cam. The image shows. I can take pic, record vid with front facing cam. I am able to use context menu to go into my videos or pictures folders.

Device Specs:

OS Version:
Free Storage: 26 GB
Videos: 407
Pictures: 879

The errors I am getting.
[screen captures, and picture attached] 

1. "Camera Error" - There was an error creating your picture. Please try again.
  2. "Camera Error" - The camera is in use, please close any other instances of the camera and try again. 

There were no other applications actively running on the device when I got the second error.

I thought a security wipe would somehow fix this issue. But it has not.

When This Started
I first noticed my 5MP camera was not working after I finished playing "Spider-Man: Total Mayhem HD". I think I spent an entire hour playing the game. I've owned this Playbook since it launched, and have not had any problems with the camera or hardware. There is not physical damage to the 5mp camera.

During gameplay, there were elements of the ui that took "screenshots" or "screen captures" of fight sequences. I have a feeling this may have something to do with why my camera is not working now. My understanding is that this game is developed using NDK. I fear that a bug in the game, and how it handles these screen captures may have affected my Playbook's OS and my camera.

Security wipe, refresh did not fix the issue. Still getting the same errors.

Please help me! I own a 64GB Playbook without a working camera 
This is really bugging me out. : (

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: 5MP Playbook Camera Blackscreen - Errors - Hardware or NDK Game Caused Glitch?

First I would like you to do a Back Up of your PlayBook using your computer and BlackBerry Desktop Software.

This can be downloaded for free from http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/desktop/

After the Back Up is complete I need you to unplug your PlayBook and then push and hold down the Power Button until the unit Force Powers Off.

Now, while Desktop Software is still open on your computer and the PlayBook Powered Off, Connect the PlayBook to your computer.

You should see and error screen from Desktop Software pop up that has the options to Retry, Update, or Cancel.

QUICKLY choose the Update option.

This will erase all the information off of your PlayBook and Re-Write the Software back onto it. Once it's complete your PlayBook will need to go back through the setup wizard, and you can then perform a restore using Desktop Software to return your information. The only thing that won't come back after the restore are the apps that you downloaded from App World but they can be easily Re-Installed using the My World feature in App World.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Developer

Re: 5MP Playbook Camera Blackscreen - Errors - Hardware or NDK Game Caused Glitch?

I have tried EXACTLY this, and the issue with the camera is still persisting.
Any other ideas? 

Regular Contributor
My Device: Playbook 32GB
My Carrier: N/A

Hi, i am having a similar problem.  The 5MP works correctly but when I toggle to the front facing I get a black screen.  The icons for taking a picture and zoom, etc. are visible.  When touch the camera icon to take a picture, the software locks up.  RIM support had me update via the Desktop Software but that did not solve the problem.  I tried the security swipe and that did not solve either.

The device is only 1 day old.  RIM TS said to send it in for repair if the update did not work.

It seems like a software bug but I cannot diagnose it unless someone on the forums have a way they can share.

Developer

Re: SOLVED 5MP Playbook Camera Blackscreen

My issue was resolved by RIM Support. If your device is only one day old I would suggest 

1) Try exchanging it at the retailer for another unit
2) If retailer does not exchange, call RIM Support
3) Explain the issue and it will be resolved! 

The device should work out of the box. If it does not, you are covered under the limited warranty.
Good luck 

Regular Contributor

What did TS have you do to resolve the problem?

Thank you.

Regular Contributor

UPDATE:

RIM TS said it was a hardware problem. Returned to store to exchange and received new Playbook. Both cameras work correctly on the replacement.
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: 1234567

Hi

I have also faced this problem yesterday. Back camera is not working after updating my OS Version to 1.0.8.6067. I have rebooted the playbook so many time than also no use. Please help me reagrding this what needs to be done..

tHANKS

rAMESH

New Contributor
My Device: playbook, bold 9700
My Carrier: vodafone

you mentioned your issue was resolved by Rim support...........was wondering how it was resolved? did you have to send your play book in for repair?

glad it was fixed. I am suffering with the exact same issue as you had. thinking I will give rim support a call tomorrow because I'm going crazy now.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

If reloading the OS that I posted above does not work, then you will need to call support for warranty.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V