Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Highlighted
Super Contributor
My Device: Q10 OS 10.1, PlayBook (WiFi 64 Gig)

ATTENTION - PlayBook OS Enhancement Request - (REALLY Good Idea IMHO)

Hey,

I love my PlayBook! The device and OS are great foundations for an excellent tool.

One of the innovative ideas is the use of the Bezel to execute special functions - bring up the keyboard, access the system menu, etc.  It is a GREAT Idea!

I have never been a big fan of Touch (it's one of the reasons I returned my Torch which I loved - but that's another story).  One of MY big problems is scrolling.  Although I've adapted decently to this, I constantly find myself doing things I don't want to do when I'm scrolling because instead of scrolling, an item on the screen I'm trying to scroll gets activated instead of allowing me to "push" the screen up/down/left/right.  I can't believe I'm so inept that I'm the only person that suffers this problem.

So here's the idea.  You've got that nice big bezel sitting there doing nothing while I'm trying to scroll and going off in all directions.  Why not allow me to scroll by swiping the bezel area?  Swipe up or down the left or right side of the bezel (or swipe left or right on the top or bottom bezel) and this would scroll the contents of the screen with no possibility of accidentally "setting off" some other "tap" link on the screen.

I have no idea if this is an original idea, but I would LOVE to have the ability to do this!  Likewise, zooming in and out could be controlled by pinching or stretching the bezel areas - again preventing accidentally activating any items on the screen - and the side benefit of the stretch/shrink being confined to either horizontal or vertical.  BTW - I've already checked and these actions don't do anything right now, so there's no conflict with existing gestures as far as I can tell.

So what do you think?  Am I just a total spaz, or is this a good idea?

Jerry
Contributor
My Device: 9330 3G
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: ATTENTION - PlayBook OS Enhancement Request - (REALLY Good Idea IMHO)

I think it would be a good idea.

Solutions: 6,357
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

JerryD wrote:

Why not allow me to scroll by swiping the bezel area?  Swipe up or down the left or right side of the bezel (or swipe left or right on the top or bottom bezel) and this would scroll the contents of the screen with no possibility of accidentally "setting off" some other "tap" link on the screen.

Agreed, as well.

I've had some things activated as well while scrolling. I notice that if I 'flick' the scroll quick enough, I don't any touch event (like activating the web browser) as often.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Storm
My Carrier: verizon

I have another suggestion for the keyboard.. The "123/sym" key should work like the "upper case" key. In other words, most of the time I use the "123/sym" key to get a quote key, colon, simi-colon, etc. So once I hit the key I want the keyboard should flip back to the alpha keyboard. Now just like the "upper case" key, holding it to lock would work if I need to enter a string of numbers or whatever. Kind of annoying to have to keep on hitting a key to switch back to the alpha keyboard after I press the one key I wanted. I'm sure I'm not the only one that thinks this would be a good thing.
Contributor
My Device: Playbook 32GB & Bold 9700
My Carrier: MTN

i will like to have arrow-keys so i can select or move to the letter/character i want to delete/copy etc instead of tapping the screen and hoping to hit the right letter.

Jerome
----
If a post was helpful, please click the kudos star button below it.
If a post solved the problem you raised in your thread, click on 'Accept as Solution'.
Contributor
My Device: Z10 and PlayBook (sadly)
My Carrier: Rogers

It would be nice to have a keyboard mode that would cause it to function like the keyboard of the Blackberry phone we've grown used to.  The '@' should have a place on the default screen.  And the keyboard should show all the keys the phone does, so that an 'alt' key could invoke them for one push.

Arrows would also be fantastic.  Editing text is completely hit and miss at the moment.

f2
Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: None

I agree that some form of CURSOR control is needed, at least, by some of us.

Editing text is not very easy. Praying I hit the "sweet spot" for editing is a drag. Particularly in fields (browser address bar) where you cannot pinch/zoom to increase the size. Finger tap, too far left, finger tap, too far right, oh, too far left again. Up a line.....

Opening another keyboard, a curosr keyboard or keypad would be really terrific.  Another keyboard swipe from the lower right on a diagonal - open a cursor keypad with left/right/up/down, pageup/down/home/end.  Feel free to adopt this - I have no patent rights on it yet! Smiley Very Happy

New Contributor
My Device: Storm
My Carrier: verizon

I think the cursor control that I have on my iPhone is really great and would be perfect on the Playbook..  If you aren't familiar with how the iPhone works, when you place your finger on the screen and hold it there a couple of seconds then a magnifing glass pops up above your finger and shows you where your cursors is and as you move your finger the magnifinge glass moves with it and shows the position of the cursor moving also in the magnified view.  Butthat is one way to do it.. works well.

Contributor
My Device: Playbook 32GB & Curve 8330
My Carrier: Telus

1. I like the scroll idea. I posted before about some way of jumping to the top of a long page. Perhaps the side bezel control could integrate something like that also.
2. The apple magnifying glass is useable, although I have never been a big fan. So far I have actually been pretty impressed with how accurate the playbook is when i tap to try and place the cursor. Regardless, we need some better cursor control. how about some gestures along the bottom bezel for this. After selecting a text box you could swipe left/right to move the cursor and hold one finger while swiping with the other to select text.
3. I also would like shift+backspace to delete a character after the cursor like my Curve does.
4. A little bit of auto-caps and auto-correction would also be nice, but please dont go overboard like apple, which is completely annoying.
Regular Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: N/A

Hey guys, bad news I think. I'm pretty sure the bezel gestures work by sensing when a touch event starts at the very edge of the screen, not by the actual bezel being touch sensitive.