Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Forums Advisor III
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

Re: Actual charging times of playbook

The rated Blackberry Playbook chargers will not damage the battery. No guarantee with clone chargers. All batteries have a number of charge cycles and also an expected lifespan. They go through a normal chemical degrading over their life cycle. About four to maybe five years is expected. Only Blackberry service can change the battery. It is preprietary to their product. It should last at least four years. By then this tablet will be long obsolete and you will getting or have a new one. Therefore, don't worry about the battery!

Jerry G.
Jerry G.
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

the blackberry chargers have yet to damage mine. jerry has been unable to provide info to confirm his beliefs. the playbook has a 1 year warranty that can be upgraded to 2years if you want to. i have been using usb and my torch charger and have not suffered any battery performance.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Forums Advisor III

I never said using a USB port will directly damage the Playbook. I do know from working in the industry in system design, that when Lithium or NiCad cell is not charged at a proper rate, the chemical reversal internally in the battery is not properly saturated. Long term this has been known to reduce the life cycle of the battery.

As for over charging a chargeable battery, or using too high a charge current this would cause excessive heat, and will cause damage over the short term.

Most modern devices have built in voltage and current regulators, and temperature sensors for their batteries. These offer secondary protectection for the battery. As for under current charging they cannot protect agains this.

I did post some links to sites that have a lot of information about chargeable batteries. What you should do is contact a battery manufacture yourself and ask these questions.

I am not writing from fanticy. Some years ago I worked in this industry for a long time. I was working on a team for designing charging systems for industrial systems. I had to design systems that had to meet very strict standards. Battery charging systems and power supply design was a specialty of mine. We were designing systems that were to work under extreme conditions.

Jerry G.

Jerry G.
Forums Advisor III

[ Edited ]

Use the proper charger and the battery will last its possible maxiumum life span. The device manufacture will supply the proper charger that will allow the maximum possible life from the battery.

Normally, under normal use of the device design, NiCad and Lithium type batteries will last about 4 to maybe 5 years. Full charge cycles  for the average chargeable battery can vary from about 400 to 600 average depending on the manufacture quality,  the depth of charge, the charge current applied, the temperature of the environment of the battery, and the load factor when used.  There are some specialty batteries that can take up to 1000 full charge cycles.

Because you may be charging the battery at about 30% to maybe 60%, and then topping it up many times from maybe about 80%, these will not be full charge cycles. To know the equivalency of charge cycles this would be difficult to determine. When a battery is fully discharged it pulls maximum rated charge current from the charger. This make the battery take on a little more heat and is more stress on the chemical reaction.

On the other side of things, it is good practice once in a while to discharge a NiCad or Lithium battery to near depleted and then recharge every once in a while. This acts something like a re-set of the battery. It allows the chemical reaction inside the battery to work its full cycle. It also allows the device's system to take a recount for its pre-scaling to tell the user a more accurate percentage of the battery level.

It is also not good to let a NiCad or Lithium battery to get down to zero. There is a danger that it may not be able to take on enough charge current to start its charge cycle. There is also a danger if the battery could go in to a polar-reversal state. If it does that it would be permanently damaged.

In all commercial type devices sold to consumers full depletion of the battery would not happen with normal use.  The device would shut down before actual full depletion. The device would have to be let sit idle for a very long time so the battery can fully discharge from its own internal leakage. It could take 6 months to a year for this to happen. The device will shut down and determine the battery to be unusable when its voltage is down by about 10% to 20% (depending on the manufacture policy).

Jerry G.

Jerry G.
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

jerryg50 wrote:

It is also not good to let a NiCad or Lithium battery to get down to zero. There is a danger that it may not be able to take on enough charge current to start its charge cycle. There is also a danger if the battery could go in to a polar-reversal state. If it does that it would be permanently damaged.

In all commercial type devices sold to consumers full depletion of the battery would not happen with normal use.  The device would shut down before actual full depletion....

Since I'm really keen to avoid propagating myths and "urban legends" about batteries, let's be very clear for people about what the above means.

When Jerry writes "get down to zero" he is NOT talking about "0% on the displayed capacity-remaining estimate".  It is absolutely fine to let your PlayBook discharge down until the reading shows 0%, provided the device is functioning properly.  RIM even recommends it under some conditions.

By "get down to zero", it appears Jerry means what he next calls "full depletion".  This would be, in fact, merely depletion to the voltage level at which Lithium batteries typically sustain permanent damage, which is roughly/nominally 3.0V.

A non-defective PlayBook would, evidence shows, always shut down just above 3.4V, to protect the battery, regardless of the percentage-remaining value displayed.  This would explain the several people who have reported their devices showing values like 8% or 13% or (one fellow I know) as high as 18% just before the tablet shut itself off.

In fact, until we hear otherwise from RIM, it's likely the following are about the only ways you can possibly damage your PlayBook battery:

1. discharge until it shuts itself off, then either repeatedly attempt to turn it on without charging, or simply store it without charging it at least partially
  2. overheat the battery by some means other than using a supplied charger or merely using the device, for example by leaving it in an extremely hot location
  3. use a non-standard charger that's incompatible: note that this will likely damage the PlayBook itself before it could get around to damaging the battery...

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Forums Advisor III

You explained this exactly how I meant it!  I was pertaining more to the theoritical battery depletion rather than to the actual in a  specific device in practice. 

I believe I mentioned somewhere in a posting that in most or all consumer and industrial products that use Lithium or NiCad batteries, the product will shut down when the battery is below a specified limit. This limit depends on the design policy of the manufacture. The "0" level indicated is actually a level that is safe for the battery to go down to. In actual fact the battery itself has enough charge remaining to be considered safe for itself and is able to be re-charged with no possible damage. 

This does not pretain to any specific product:

In many 12 to 12.5 Volt battery systems, the battery is considered depleted or "0" when it goes to below 10.2 Volts. Some systems are using 10.8 Volts. I worked on some systems where the policy was 11.2 Volts.

Fully charged most 12 Volt batteries will read about 13.5 to 13.8 Volts right after disconnection from the charger. They will settle to about 12 to 12.5 Volts after a number of hours with no load.

Jerry G.

Jerry G.
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

for the record, I am still using my seven year old laptop and MS Office '03..... just trying to interject some humor.... but true info! Are you guys old enough to remember the ms-dos days when Word was loaded by the time the "enter" key rebounded up from being pressed? I miss that speed.

I was going to say hope my tablet battery lasts longer than four yrs..... now just want it to last long enough to be round when real email app, skype, database app, tether etc is released!