Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

My Device: Playbook 16GB
My Carrier: ATT

Android Runtime Environment 2.3.3 in BB10

Android Runtime Environment: In BB10, i read that the current android environment being used is still the 2.3.3 version. This version of Android was primarily focussed on low resolution screens and phones, and it is already very old as we currently have Icecream sandwich and Jellybean version of Android designed for both phone and tablets. Most of the Android app versions are also being updated to be compatible only with more recent Android OS. Due to limited native Tablet apps, I do rely heavily on Android converted apps for my Playbook.

Is there any ongoing discussions on upgrading this android runtime environment in future to get it updated to a more recent Android runtime version? This would be a serious limitation unless BB is able to seriously expand it app portfolio

This is my first post in this forum, not sure if this is the right section.

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry 9790, BlackBerry PlayBook 64Gb, BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha
My Carrier: MTS

Re: Android Runtime Environment 2.3.3 in BB10

Hi amit2505,

I didn't heard about upgrading Android player. Firstly, Android 2.3.3 is the most popular version of Android. Look at this:

http://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html

Secondly, I think that most of BB users want to see native apps instead of Android. If you love Android apps then you should buy Android device. Smiley Happy
Respectfully,
Oleg

Developer, QNX RTOS, BlackBerry 10 and PlayBook
Follow me on Twitter (in Russian)
St.Petersburg BlackBerry Dev. Group