Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Playbook
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Antivirus

In Buenos Aires the PB was connected to the standard micro USB charger that came supplied with the tablet. In Mexico, the device was connected to the BB rapid charger with the magnetic HDMI connector.  I had previously experienced the erratic behaviour of the touchscreen when the micro USB charger was plugged in and switched, with success, to the HDMI charger as a result.  This does not explain the email message being typed or the language conversion to Cyrillic russian. I do not keep any sensistive material on the PB as I do not trust it will be safeguarded. Am I being paranoid?

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

next time it starts to happen take it off the charger and see if it still happens.

if it stops then it is the charger or a faulty earth ground on outlet

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor

On both occasions I unplugged the charger without any change in the erratic behavior.  The Cyrillic text remained until I performed a security wipe. Whyitchose to reset the language settings to Russian is somewhat disconcerting.  The tablet was purchased from RIM direct in Canada and has neverbeen transported anywhere near Russia. With the reputation of Russian hackers, I am quite concerned that the security of my tablet has been breached on two separate occasions. 

Solutions: 6,331
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Your PlayBook wasn't hacked. Period.

That it was set to Cryllic doesn't mean it was hacked.

That you heard the keys typing doesn't mean it was hacked.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Highlighted
New Contributor

As I am by no means an expert in these matters, I would. Be curious to know what caused the behavior,  especially with the tablet typing an email to a random recipient from my contact list.  If it isn't hacking, what is it? Also, on what basis is a PB considered unhackable, other than it not being financially lucrative? 

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

Did you save the email for translation? I.e was it good Russian?  what would be the point in remotely writing an email to one recipient? in Russian?  A decent spambot malware program would write in english to all your contact list. 

I did not attempt to translate the text from the email. I was too focused on not having the email sent. I cannot see a logical explanation of why or how this occurred.  I am merely providing anecdotal data in the hopes that an explanation can be provided.  It is even more perplexing this has occurred in two completely different countries. I have always updated to the latest version of the PB OS.  Has anyone else experienced something remotely similar?

Right.

So, what we've learned is that when logic does not apply, say the ruskies have hacked your tablet.

n no no no no no

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Your sarcasm is noted. My logic would dictate that a hacker would use either his native language for mischief, or one most commonly used for fraudulent gain, namely English.  As the language used in my PB was mysteriously changed to Cyrillic Russian, it was not a leap to make the assumption I previously described.  I am all ears if anyone can offer a more logical argument or explanation. Perhaps if a technical glitch arbitrarily switched to the first language option  in alphabetical order, or if the original encoding was written with notes in a specific language, it would make more sense to me. I bear no ill will against any national, and apologize if I have offended anyone. I am making assumptions merely based on the events as they happened.  An English language spybot, if the PB were indeed hacked, would make imminently  more sense. I still don't understand how the original mini USB charger could cause the PB to act in such a manner. Electronic interference I can understand, but typing an email in a foreign language, I do not. When I mentioned the event to a technician at work, he instinctively assumed the tablet had been hacked. I would assume he based the assumption on experience with Windows based environments. 

I say this in all seriousness, and without sarcasm. If it makes you feel more secure, set the firewall for one thing on your PB and router, and secondly do find a security app you feel will be adequte. Set a password on the device as well.

I think Knotty offered the best obvious suggestion relating to similar things we've seen before.

Knowledge Base Updates