Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
My Device: 9800, and Playbook
My Carrier: rogers

Any value in the Rapid Charger? and other charge related questions

Ok, I think I have calmed down. I will keep my playbook.  But some issues still continue to burn me.   The lastest, the time to recharge off the provided wall-charger.

- So does anyone here have the Rapid charger? Does it really work faster than the wall-charger?

- WIll the playbook charge off a PC USB connection?

- Will the Playbook charge off a standard 9700 or 9800 charger? 

thanks

8100, 8900, 9800, and Playbook owner
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700 and Playbook 64 Gb
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Any value in the Rapid Charger? and other charge related questions

The rapid charger is definitely the fastest way to charge.  Charging from a PC USB connection seems to be the slowest way to charge and the standard 9700 charger also works, but I'm not sure about the speed of this one since I charged it overnight with my phone charger.

Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

paulypaul wrote:

- So does anyone here have the Rapid charger? Does it really work faster than the wall-charger?

The provided wall charger works pretty fast for me, I was actually surprised how quick.

- WIll the playbook charge off a PC USB connection?

Yes, slowly. Much slower than the provided charger.

- Will the Playbook charge off a standard 9700 or 9800 charger? 

Ditto. Yes, slowly. Much slower than the provided charger.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: 9800
My Carrier: ATT

I dont see value on the rapid charger as the one comes in box does a pretty good job, BUT also the rapid charger sucks for not having additional OUT ports for you to plug your USB or HDMI cable to your TV... would have been great to work as both charger and docking station.

Developer
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: Bell Mobility

There are a LOT of problems on these forums caused by people charging with the wrong charger here.  RUN, don't walk to your nearest PlayBook dealer and snap up one of these rapid chargers.    What people don't understand is that USB charging standards require a power source at 5 volts DC (+/-.25VDC) (Direct Current as opposed to the 110/240V alternating current in the wall depending upon where you live) and either Hi or Low current.  The Low current (used by low power devices like your Bluetooth headphones are 100mA (or 0.1A).  The HIGH power setting is 500mA (or 0.5A). You can think of the volts as a measure of the "pressure" of the electrons (or water in a pipe).  But to charge a battery or power a device, what you really need are lots of those electrons themselves... the flow of those electrons can be thought of as Amps.  Using a bluetooth headphone charger (0.1A or 100mA) MIGHT eventually charge your playbook but it would take forever if the PlayBook could actually store more of the current than it used just to stay on in the first place (I strongly doubt it)... ditto for the charger that came with your BlackBerry phone (0.7A for a big one).  It just won't supply enough flow of electrons to power your playbook AND charge the battery.  The one that comes with the PlayBook is a bit beefier so it CAN charge the PlayBook but it'll take a while.   The Rapid Charger has enough AMPS to charge the thing in 3 hours (2.0 Amps or 2000 milliamps).

You can feel the difference in the weight of the chargers.  While you CAN plug smaller USB devices (or your playbook into your computer), don't think that they will automatically have the beans to power the PlayBook.  It has a massive 5300mA battery so if you start thinking you are going to charge it with a 100 milliamp charger, you can count on being there a while. :-)

Best regards,

Brent

If you found my post helpful, please thank me with a Kudo. Thanks!
Developer
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: Bell Mobility

I should also mention that it is unlikely your PC would output more than 900mA on the USB port and if its an older (pre USB 3.0), it'll be 500mA or less.  That won't charge your PlayBook very fast either.  At most, you could use it to slow down the battery drain.  

Best regards,

Brent

If you found my post helpful, please thank me with a Kudo. Thanks!
Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: singtel

Hi. Just to clarify - PC designs over the past 3-5 years have USB ports that can put out between 1.5-2A. Almost all designs being done now are 2A. Now that being said this does not mean that when you plug in a device you will get 1.5A. In fact, as soon as the USB device is recognized, the current is automatically limited to 0.5A. That is why the current supplied is not enough

So it is not because the USB port cannot supply it, it is because it gets throttled as soon as the device is USB recognized...If you charge without allowing the device be recognized as USB then you can charge at about 1.5A. I believe this is how the cable that I bought from Amazon charges my playbook at 1.5A from a USB port.

Hope this helps..