Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Regular Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: N/A

App World Cache Problem

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I had just released an update to my application and it took four days after being approved for the update to show up on my PlayBook's App World. There should be some way for App World to check for updates instead of waiting for cache to expire. For the smarthphones this can be done by clearing App World cache, however I would suggest that a check be done each time to see if an update is available.

I am pretty sure that this is not being done because others were able to retrieve the update before I could see it (up to a day earlier). I just wouldn't want this to be the case if I need to push an update to fix severe problem with my application.

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry® PlayBook™
My Carrier: .

Re: App World Cache Problem

This is a little old, but you're quite lucky it only took 4 days. I posted my app for sale on May 6, and I'm still not showing on my own PlayBook in App World. The category listings haven't updated for at least 18 days at this point. The cache reset only resets the Featured section for me.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

[ Edited ]

open app world on on playbook and type rst in search bar

that will reset it and then see if your problem persists

i seem to be last on list for updates on my Torch all the time, it might just be staggering updates so servers wount be over loaded upon a system wide app or popular app

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

I've encountered the same issue, now that my app is finally available.  It's been posted since the 19th, and is still not showing up in its Category listing for anyone that I've checked with.

I've tried the "rst" (has to be lower-case, by the way) numerous times to no avail.  I don't believe that has any effect on the category listings.

The app can be searched for (e.g. "white noise" finds it just fine) and viewed and installed without trouble, but it's not in the Category listing.

I'm very disappointed to hear studiochris' suggestion that it may take much longer than even a week to show up.  I was going to ask what the upper limit is thought to be, but now that I've found this thread it appears the answer is "no upper limit yet found". Smiley Sad

Combined with the still-lengthy turnaround for app release approvals, this makes App World currently a pretty unattractive place to try making a buck.  (Surprisingly, I've almost made lunch money in a week of sales in spite of this... :-|   Apparently a few people are actually searching for a decent white noise generator.)

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: BlackBerry® PlayBook™
My Carrier: .

[ Edited ]

Definitely not the answer you want to hear, but the day after my last post.. still without category list updates, I did a security wipe just so I could see my app in App World. Categories haven't updated even once since the wipe either. The front "Featured" page is the only section that is cleared with "rst" and the only section that regularly updates itself. Categories are a mystery.

I'm not wiping again, but it seems like with all of the early reviewers complaining about a lack of apps, and setting the stage for the general public to hold onto that perception, that BlackBerry would be more concerned that App World was updating properly so that people can actually see that new apps are being published every day. The selection is getting better, but without the categories updating, who will ever know? The featured page and its sections only shows a max of 124 apps (if there were no duplicates)... what about the rest of the thousands? Even from the standpoint of sales from App World and RIM making money and/or revenue to support the App World infrastructure, it seems like they'd be eager to fix it. It makes no sense to me - very unattractive indeed.

(I know this is only a user-to-user forum, but it has to be said somewhere. I'm hesitant to post it, but I've written a post for my blog about it already... still need to think that one through a bit, though maybe it will get some attention since official channels continue to fail?)

Edit: Reformatting since the rich text editor didn't keep paragraphs.

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

@studiochris: I would re/post this in the app world forum.
Developer

Chris, mine still hasn't updated either.

The odd thing is that among the few people in the IRC chat who've tested this out with me, one or two can actually see my app in the right category, and I can see some of their apps, but there's no consistency.

One person can even see his own app but not the Lite version.

One can apparently see my app when he selects "Paid" in the right category, but not if he selects "All".

None of this makes sense... it's insane... also very disturbing to anyone trying to look at this as a viable way to make money.

Other points to note: these apps are all listed properly on the App World web site, so clearly the problem is limited to the PlayBook App World app. Also, I've tried "rst" (note: it must be lowercase) in pretty much every level and page of App World, with no impact on anything except possibly the feature list, so that's definitely not an option (for all those who keep suggesting it...).

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z10, Playbook 32GB
My Carrier: Rogers

I've +1 kudos your posts in hopes that RIM notices and fixes this problem in app world. Having near-real time (or at least 24-48 hours) of update alerts is critical for consumers and developers.

On the plus side, there's a twitter app that made a lot of noise on twitter (15+ retweets, top retweet) and is #1 for paid apps. Maybe developers can study that and use it as a template for launching successful apps.
-----------
Chris --- http://www.twitter.com/chrispycrunch
-----------
Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: AT&T

My app, SouthernTouch Spades, was posted for sale on May 20 and is still not categorized in the PlayBook App World client.  I've been browsing the Games/Cards/Paid apps, and it looks like nothing has been added to that category in two weeks.  Has anyone had their app categorized and browsable in the past two weeks?

Thanks,

Darwin Pinder

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/34213

Darwin Pinder
SouthernTouch Technologies
http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/34213
Developer

Darwin, I think most of our apps are actually visible to some people, and not to others.

For example, I can see SouthernTouch Spades ($0.99) when I browse to Games/Cards/Paid or /All.  (Five stars.. good job! Smiley Happy.   Others may not be able to see it.  Some can see my app (White Noise, post May 19), while many cannot, including me.

All our apps are visible under the correct category in App World's web site, but we're still waiting for an update to fix this, or at least some word on the cause of the problem and what workaround, if any, can improve things in the interim.