Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Regular Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Mobily SA

App World for OS 2.0.1

Hi All,

I've just purchased the Playbook and it has installed the latest update of OS to be 2.0.1.3xx. However, I believe that App World is very poor and I'm not sure if this is compatibility issue with the new OS update or it is thew case of all PlayBook OS versions. Is there any way to get other applications out of App World?

Shady E.
Egypt | Saudi Arabia
Forums Veteran I
My Device: Priv
My Carrier: Three UK

Re: App World for OS 2.0.1

In what was do you think App World is poor? 

Regular Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Mobily SA

Smiley Happy This is a good question. Getting a Tablet is mainly focusing on the Office utility applications and collaboration tools. I didn't find proper software to take notes or task listing. Even the Chatting and Social Applications are not there. comparing it with the App world on my Smartphone, it is far beyond the expectations. Especially when it is announced that it can run Android apps, I was expecting to find more applications - especially: Google Apps, Skype, Viber with Voice ...etc. I'm also disappointed that the Black berry Bridge is not adding real value as it requires the connection to be always active between Playbook and the smartphone. Why doesn't it take snapshots from my phone and synchronize it frequently?!! ... Even why can't I use my phone GPRS service if it is paired with the Paybook?

Shady E.
Egypt | Saudi Arabia
Forums Veteran I
My Device: Priv
My Carrier: Three UK

Just to break down your points:-

Office Apps - I use Smart Office, £10 from App World and I find it works brilliantly

Note Taking - Evernote, not as fully featured as the Android and iOS versions and requires an internet connection. You can also use Smart Office. 

Other Apps - Skype is well known not to be available on the Playbook currently, 

Bridge - None of the Bridge apps store information on the playbook, this is a security feature. As soon as the link is lost the information is gone. 

GPRS connection - yes you can use it via Bridge and Internet Tethering as long as your carrier supporrts it.