Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook and Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

Audible Books & Books Folder

I am looking for a way to download and listen to audio book files on the PB.  Specifically, files from Audible.com.

The PB does not seem to recognize the file when attempting to Sync via Desktop Manager from iTunes.

I did move the file to the PB's "Books" Folder when sync'd to my pc, but I am unable to locate this "Books" folder via the PB.

Thoughts?

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800 & Playbook

Re: Audible Books & Books Folder

I'm a big fan of Audible as well and you usually can't listen to their audio books unless they have created an app that allows it. I have tried a few things but have been unable to figure a way thus far to make it work.

Have you contacted Audible yet to ask them if they plan to support the Playbook? All of us who want to see it happen should let them know..

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook and Torch 9800

I appreciate the response.

Yes, I did email Audible earlier today about support for the PB.  No reply as of yet.  As you stated, it will likely take an app specifically for the PB vs. some workaround.

I imagine there is also a chance that RIM rolls out some audio file reader that would resolve this as well.

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

http://www.freeaudiobooks.ws/tag/audible-app-for-blackberry-playbook

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Audible Books App

Thank you for contacting Audible Email support.

I understand you are interested in using your Playbook with our service. At this time, Audible is currently working on making all existing devices compatible. While the brand is not new to our service, there is a general interest in consumers like yourself to convert the entire Playbook model brand into an Audible supported device.  As of right now however, the Playbook is not Audible ready.

Even though currently we do not have a time frame on its availability, you are always welcome to visitand check our updated models. When a device is made compatible, the manufacturer of the device changes the firmware so that the device can read and play back the .aa file format we use on our website. These .AA files are special encrypted files to ensure the copy right law protection we have with our publishers. We are more than willing to support yours and every device; however, the manufacturer of Playbook  has not expressed an interest to make it compatible with our service. Our company actually has aspirations to be compatible with every device on the market and that continues to remain one of our goals.

I do apologize for any inconvenience that was caused and if there is anything else we can assist you with, please let me know.

Thank you for contacting us here at Audible and have a great day

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: Audible Books App

Hello slatehead,

are you an Audible employee?

Can you give more information about that AA support? I am quite surprised to see that you claim that an OS must be made compatible for a mere decyphering/decoding issue.

In fact I am quite sure that you Audible people are able to create a proprietary software that will be able to read those AA files on any OS, including the BlackBerry PlayBook OS.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
My Device: Torch & Playbook
My Carrier: Rogers

I received the same type of non-comittal reply from audible as other frustrated members.  I threatened to cancel my membership after 13 years and I probably still will if they don't develop an application for Z10 and Playbook by the time it comes up for renewal.  But in the meantime - I found these directions...

http://www.reddnet.net/how-to-convert-audible-aa-files-to-mp3-format/

and I just successfully converted my first audible book.  It took longer than transferring the file to my old TORCH but not as long as buring CDs.