Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Super Contributor
My Device: Z10

Re: BB 10 Playbook OS

merrymargaret wrote:
Rock on Apple but I will never buy one of your products! I'm sick to death of you and you annoyong presence of swamping the market. .

Spoken like someone who likely has never owned an Apple product, or owned one back in 1998 when Jobs decided to trim the product line to save the company and has held a grudge ever since.

I chuckle when I read this sort of comment. You make it sound like it's a bad thing that Apple makes quality products that millions of people use and enjoy on a daily basis. If you want to look at a product that's "swamping" the market, look no further than Android. But, much like Windows, having the most users doesn't make it the best product...

I've been using an iPhone since 2009 and it's hands down the best smartphone I've ever used. The app selection is second to none and the quality is excellent. About the only reason I can give for not buying an iPhone would be if you want a large screen device since Apple currently doesn't offer anything over 4".

----------
BESX 5.0.4, SQL 2008, Exchange 2010 SP2 RU4a
Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell Canada

And how long did you test the PB and a BB phone, did you say?
Regards,
Merry Me with my Black-Berry
Super Contributor

@merrymargaret Not sure if that was directed at me, but I've been using BlackBerry devices at work pretty consistently since 2002 and have had a Playbook for the past 18 months or so. My current work-provided phone is a Z10.

That said, I wouldn't trade my iPhone or iPad for anything from BlackBerry. They just can't compete effectively anymore.

----------
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

ios is dated, you cant even listen to music while playing a game.

multi task is a joke on ios, BB10 just does it with ease.

I am installing an update on my BB10 device and still tweeting, emails and using faacebook while it updates

is ios 7 coming to all i phones? i doubt that and many apps wont work on it either as apple changed requirements on its apps. Also not all features will be made for older phones. So you should be just as mad at apple for not letting your old device get the same goodies as the new ones.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Super Contributor

Not sure where you're getting your info, but your understanding of iOS seems to be what's dated or just plain wrong. Your post is mostly a regurgitation of the usual noise that BlackBerry fans use to justify their choice of product without actually having an understanding of what they're talking about.

Music plays just fine when I'm playing games, no issues there. Arguing about multitasking is just splitting hairs because all the mobile OS platforms allow apps to run in the background, they just have different concepts of what makes sense to run in the background.

I can run apps just fine while installing a software update, up to the point where the device needs a reboot. Pretty sure my Z10 acts the same way.

The argument about iOS7 vs no BB10 on Playbook is stupid. Nobody expects it to run on all devices, and this has always been the case with iOS updates. However, it's usually the 2+ year old devices that might be excluded and I think that providing regular and useful updates for 24+ months is pretty decent these days. No, you won't be able to run iOS7 on your iPhone 3GS, but then that's a 2009 device so I guess maybe it's logical to put it out to pasture.

No idea what you're talking about regarding apps. Apple hasn't changed anything about iOS7 that will make apps "not work". I'm running it on my iPhone 5 right now and with the exception of one app everything's just fine. Might want to get a better source of info on that one. Or are you talking about apps that haven't been updated in 3+ years because the developers can't be bothered to fix a few lines of code once every year or two?

If the application ecosystem for BlackBerry was stronger they would be in a better position. People can make all the arguments they want about "Work not Play" or "Tools not Toys", but the smartphone market is a consumer market, and you're not going to win over the consumer market when you can't even get core app developers to support your platform. The Playbook was a failure because RIM completely failed to understand the market and pushed out a crippled device with a ridiculous price tag without any strong developer support. Great for existing BlackBerry users, not so much for anyone else.

The issue is that Heins publicly stated that BB10 would come to the Playbook and then publicly reneged on the deal last month. That's what's **bleep** everyone off.

----------
Solutions: 6,331
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

swotam wrote:

The issue is that Heins publicly stated that BB10 would come to the Playbook and then publicly reneged on the deal last month. That's what's **bleep** everyone off.

So why is your dander up? You're an Apple fanboi obviously, and your work involves supporting BESX, it appears.

Heins and BlackBerry changed their minds on the PlayBook. I don't like it one bit and also wish they'd proceed with further support on the PlayBook, but it is what it is. They changed their mind. You call it a lie. I call it re-focusing and cutting their losses on the tablet.

You've never ever never had to do that yourself?

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
My Device: Torch 9800 / PlayBook / Z10 / Passport
My Carrier: O2 UK

There is a BIG difference between what an individual does and what a CEO does.

On the thread linked below I suggested we invite BlackBerry to discuss the u turn and future support for PlayBook. Any ideas JSanders on how to get the ball rolling on this ?

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-PlayBook/The-Lies-of-Thorstein-Heins/td-p/2464713

BlackBerry is for Life, not just for Christmas
Solutions: 6,331
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

[ Edited ]

Yep, and that thread seemed to get locked, as well.

You think you "deserve" this and are "owed" that. You said he lied and even started that outrageously titled thread.

seems to think anyone and any comment with he disagrees is "stupid" (the most overused word in the language by adolescents <-- my opinion). Don't get me wrong, I respect the time and work he spends with the BES users in this forum, without a doubt.

To discuss what future support of the PlayBook? Did not Heins say there would be no future development on the PlayBook and that support as is now would continue. Seems pretty cut and dried, until he might change his mind again.

So, bs342, you're having that discussion. Here. The other thread. And other threads. Seems that ball is rolling. What more? Let's have the discussion... but quite frankly, until you or someone can keep a few other users (review that other thread's posters and a couple whose comments were deleted by the Moderators) from "bombing" any such discussion with four-letter words and silly accusations and actually have a civil conversation, what's the point?

Can we actually have a discussion without flaming words like "stupid" and "lies" and such?

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell Canada

There hasn't been one word to change me to "i-like-whatEVer". I'm just miserable with the decision of the new CEO and if one of the previous co-CEOs had stuck to his job and not got hockey club owning crazy we might have had better ressults. .

I end with what this thread was about. No 10 for PB is sad. Bye.

Regards,
Merry Me with my Black-Berry
My Device: Torch 9800 / PlayBook / Z10 / Passport
My Carrier: O2 UK

[ Edited ]

JSanders wrote:

Yep, and that thread seemed to get locked, as well.

You think you "deserve" this and are "owed" that. You said he lied and even started that outrageously titled thread.

swotam seems to think anyone and any comment with he disagrees is "stupid" (the most overused word in the language by adolescents <-- my opinion). Don't get me wrong, I respect the time and work he spends with the BES users in this forum, without a doubt.

To discuss what future support of the PlayBook? Did not Heins say there would be no future development on the PlayBook and that support as is now would continue. Seems pretty cut and dried, until he might change his mind again.

So, bs342, you're having that discussion. Here. The other thread. And other threads. Seems that ball is rolling. What more? Let's have the discussion... but quite frankly, until you or someone can keep a few other users (review that other thread's posters and a couple whose comments were deleted by the Moderators) from "bombing" any such discussion with four-letter words and silly accusations and actually have a civil conversation, what's the point?

Can we actually have a discussion without flaming words like "stupid" and "lies" and such?

Of course we can, we are after all adults here. Please do though understand that this anger and all the silly comments have stemmed from the actions of BlackBerry alone and I know you will understand that as you yourself have admitted you are not happy with the decision to scrap BB10 for the PlayBook, you just chose to deal with it in a more professional manner.

How about, you start an official thread stuck to the top of the forum  that could be used to address the issue (sensibly) and for people to post about any comments, articles or info about future software updates to the existing OS that may be forthcoming ? Maybe start with an official statement from Blackberry on the decision. Point out as you said that the PlayBook will be supported in it's current form ? I think it is the feeling of abandonment that has upset most people and keeping those people loyal and happy should be a priority for BlackBerry. It makes sense from a financial point of view and finance is what it is all about at the moment for BlackBerry. 

BlackBerry is for Life, not just for Christmas