Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Visitor
My Device: BlackBerry Playbook
My Carrier: Rogers

BB Playbook not connecting's indirect solution found :-D

[ Edited ]

Hi BB community,

I bought a PB a couple of months ago, and it was working well untill the last OS update.

So here was the problem:  BB Playbook recognized by DM but not seen in PC's MY COMPUTER as a drive. If you can't see Playbook as a drive, you won't be able to access your stuff on your PB. I tried everything to solve this but could find any solution or someone who could help me.

So here is a solution I found: 

Step1: tap the settins botton located at the very top-right on the PB screen, or you can just swipe it and let it appear.

Step2: Go to Storage and Sharing.

Step3: Set USB connection to Windows or what ever platform you are using, then scroll a bit to the bottom and turn File Sharing "ON"  ( IF YOU WANT YOU CAN TORN ON WIFI SHARING AS WELL, TI WILL ALLOW YOU CONNECT YOUR PlayBook WIRELESSLY TO YOUR COMPUTER AFTER THESE INSTRUCTONS, BUT DON"T FORGET TO PROTECT IT WITH A PASSWORD) and remember the password, you will need it at the final steps.

Step4: Turn your WIFI "ON" on the PB, then connect playbook via USB cable. If you don't have USB just Leave the WIFI "ON"on the PB and on your computer as well. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step5: Now, Open MY COMPUTER on your PC, then click on "Map network Drive" located at the top-right corner of the MY COMPUTER window.

Step6: You should now have the "Map network Drive"  window open. Now, Select a drive Letter you prefere. It is normally on drive "Z". You can (Should) leave it on this letter if you want.

Step7: Now click on : "Browse" botton and a little window should pop up, you will see your Computer's name in the little window and.now wait a bit so that your computer can search and find your Playbook's name too ( If you don't know how to recognize your Playbook name, swipe your tablet on, click on the settings botton again, tap on "storage & Sharing", Now tap on "Properties" and you should have both the "Username" and your tablets name there) and Please remember your username, because you're going to need it for the other step

Step8: When you see your Playbook's name, double click on it, and now double click on "media". another small window will pop up, asking for a username and a password: Username is the one I asked you to remember on the previous step. The password is  password you set on your Playbook to protect your WiFi Sharing( remember I asked you at step3 to protect the wifi sharing with a password?. It is that same password). Only you know it. If you don't remember this, you should try to find what this password is. If you can't find it, you can stop right here and go on with life or try different passwords you use, you might get lucky...lol. or if you did not put a password for the Wifi file sharing then you can leave the password section on the window blank.

Step9: If username and/or password are correct, you should see the folders of your PB accessed. Now close all the windows on your Computer screen. now, Open MY COMPUTER, and your new drive "Z" is ready to use if you follwed all my steps carefully. You can use either the USB cable or the playbook's wifi connected to your computer do delete, add and transfer files between your computer and your Tablet. If this was helpful, please leave a like. Thanks :-)

If you need any help, if you need computer remote assistance. i will help you if I have the time.

Thanks

Edit: E-Mail removed. At no time should you provide any personal information to any other community member. Please review the Community Terms & Conditions and Support Community Guidelines for additional information.

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800, BlackBerry Playbook 64GB
My Carrier: Airtel

Re: BB Playbook not connecting's indirect solution found :-D

Nothing seems to work for me. The very first time I connected my playbook all went well. Then I upgraded the BB desktop and now nothing seems to get my playbook connected again.

It is recognised on connection, it shows up in BB desktop. But can not access files or mount as drive. All i get every time is a window with " an error occured mounting blackberry volumes, please reconnect your device".

Extreme frustration Smiley Sad

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z10 & Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Re: BB Playbook not connecting's indirect solution found :-D

Sand8900 wrote:

Hi BB community,

I bought a PB a couple of months ago, and it was working well untill the last OS update.

So here was the problem:  BB Playbook recognized by DM but not seen in PC's MY COMPUTER as a drive. If you can't see Playbook as a drive, you won't be able to access your stuff on your PB. I tried everything to solve this but could find any solution or someone who could help me.

So here is a solution I found: 

Step1: tap the settins botton located at the very top-right on the PB screen, or you can just swipe it and let it appear.

Step2: Go to Storage and Sharing.

Step3: Set USB connection to Windows or what ever platform you are using, then scroll a bit to the bottom and turn File Sharing "ON"  ( IF YOU WANT YOU CAN TORN ON WIFI SHARING AS WELL, TI WILL ALLOW YOU CONNECT YOUR PlayBook WIRELESSLY TO YOUR COMPUTER AFTER THESE INSTRUCTONS, BUT DON"T FORGET TO PROTECT IT WITH A PASSWORD) and remember the password, you will need it at the final steps.

Step4: Turn your WIFI "ON" on the PB, then connect playbook via USB cable. If you don't have USB just Leave the WIFI "ON"on the PB and on your computer as well. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step5: Now, Open MY COMPUTER on your PC, then click on "Map network Drive" located at the top-right corner of the MY COMPUTER window.

Step6: You should now have the "Map network Drive"  window open. Now, Select a drive Letter you prefere. It is normally on drive "Z". You can (Should) leave it on this letter if you want.

Step7: Now click on : "Browse" botton and a little window should pop up, you will see your Computer's name in the little window and.now wait a bit so that your computer can search and find your Playbook's name too ( If you don't know how to recognize your Playbook name, swipe your tablet on, click on the settings botton again, tap on "storage & Sharing", Now tap on "Properties" and you should have both the "Username" and your tablets name there) and Please remember your username, because you're going to need it for the other step

Step8: When you see your Playbook's name, double click on it, and now double click on "media". another small window will pop up, asking for a username and a password: Username is the one I asked you to remember on the previous step. The password is  password you set on your Playbook to protect your WiFi Sharing( remember I asked you at step3 to protect the wifi sharing with a password?. It is that same password). Only you know it. If you don't remember this, you should try to find what this password is. If you can't find it, you can stop right here and go on with life or try different passwords you use, you might get lucky...lol. or if you did not put a password for the Wifi file sharing then you can leave the password section on the window blank.

Step9: If username and/or password are correct, you should see the folders of your PB accessed. Now close all the windows on your Computer screen. now, Open MY COMPUTER, and your new drive "Z" is ready to use if you follwed all my steps carefully. You can use either the USB cable or the playbook's wifi connected to your computer do delete, add and transfer files between your computer and your Tablet. If this was helpful, please leave a like. Thanks :-)

If you need any help, if you need computer remote assistance. i will help you if I have the time.

Thanks

Edit: E-Mail removed. At no time should you provide any personal information to any other community member. Please review the Community Terms & Conditions and Support Community Guidelines for additional information.

Thanks for your input.  But if you searched the forums you would have seen this as Lost at Sea gave us these steps about 2weeks ago.

But thanks for sharing.

Be a Shepard and not an iSheep.