Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Regular Contributor
My Device: torch
My Carrier: bell mobility

Basic Questions about using a Torch with a Playbook

I have some really, beginner's questions.

-- I already have a  Blackberry Torch ... will I be able to use my existing  Blackberry plan (with Bell Mobility, in Canada) to use a Playbook ... or will I have to purchase a new and separate plan?

-- Can I somehow link the Playbook and the Torch using the bridge accesory ... and can I do this from anywhere ... or only in something like a coffee shop?

-- I'm not with any kind of business/enterprise plan ... just a normal plan ... also will the Bridge be consided "tethering" which Bell would charge me extra for.

Thanks in advance ... much appreciated.

My Device: BlackBerry Z10 + Z30 + Playbook 64
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Basic Questions about using a Torch with a Playbook

samos wrote:

I have some really, beginner's questions.

-- I already have a  Blackberry Torch ... will I be able to use my existing  Blackberry plan (with Bell Mobility, in Canada) to use a Playbook ... or will I have to purchase a new and separate plan?

-- Can I somehow link the Playbook and the Torch using the bridge accesory ... and can I do this from anywhere ... or only in something like a coffee shop?

-- I'm not with any kind of business/enterprise plan ... just a normal plan ... also will the Bridge be consided "tethering" which Bell would charge me extra for.

Thanks in advance ... much appreciated.

The Playbook can not connect using cellular phone system on it own just yet, there should be a version later this summer that will be able to do that.

The bridge let acces your e-mail(s), Blackberry Messenger (BBM), calendar, contact, notes, task and very limited way the Internet using the Bridge browser, if you want to be able to browse the Internet or use apps that need Internet connection, you will either need to be in a WIFI area, or you can tether the Playbook to the phone which I personally tried and it worked very nice but slower than WIFI

I do not know if Bell Mobility is charging for tether, but I do know that Rogers (which I am with) do not charge the users if you have a data plan that is of 1Gb or more

---------------------------------------------
Using the Playbook and the Z10 and the Z30 and loving them

Martin
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: None

"Can I somehow link the Playbook and the Torch using the bridge accesory ... and can I do this from anywhere ... or only in something like a coffee shop?"

Bridging both devices is done through bluetooth. If you have 3G or any non-wireless internet acess, on you smartphone, you're probably good to go.
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: None

" also will the Bridge be consided "tethering" which Bell would charge me extra for."

Bridging isn't the same as tethering, but your mileage may vary, according to your internet/phone provider. Talk to Bell Mobility.
Contributor
My Device: 9800 Torch and Playbook
My Carrier: AT&T

I have a Torch and AT&T service. I can't seem to use the Torch Wifi when I have a weak or no signal on the Playbook even though I have them bridged with Bluetooth

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

w3eak BT signal? it can work up to 30ft, but even after 10ft i see some lag on bridge browser.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor

My wifi signal when I'm outside of my home can be weak but my wifi through AT & T on my Torch works when I browse but not on the Playbook.  I am hoping to be able to use the Playbook in places such as convention centers where they will typically block access to WIFI but still are able to browse on my Torch within the center. Having the Bridge works for other applications currently but doesn't seem to work for WIFI as a bridge to my Torch. Thoughts or solutions?

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

jemason wrote:

My wifi signal when I'm outside of my home can be weak but my wifi through AT & T on my Torch works when I browse but not on the Playbook.  I am hoping to be able to use the Playbook in places such as convention centers where they will typically block access to WIFI but still are able to browse on my Torch within the center. Having the Bridge works for other applications currently but doesn't seem to work for WIFI as a bridge to my Torch. Thoughts or solutions?

there are 2 ways to connect to the web

Bridge browser -  that uses your phone to access the internet

wifi - that only uses wifi

Does the playbook work on wifi only?

Did you get the bridge app on your smartphone?

What version is it?

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Contributor

ah you know what may be happening is, I just noticed that the bluetooth icon on my Playbook was not lit.  I need to check when I'm out to see if that makes a difference. I guess I may have not been connected to my Torch when out sidethe house. The version on the Playbook bridge says OS version 1.05.2342 and the Torch says I'm up to date after checking for Bridge updates.

Highlighted
Guru III
My Device:

Bridge with BlueTooth will only work up to 33 feet, might need to keep the Torch closer.