Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Playbook 32GB
My Carrier: Orange
Accepted Solution

Battery 0% and does not charge at all

I have a Playbook 32GB that I bought on December last year.
Last Saturday I noticed my Playbook battery was with 0% of charge. Then I turned it off and plugged in to charge, but with no result. It looks like dead. I have already tried the hard reset with no result.
What do I do?

Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Battery 0% and does not charge at all

Have you kept it plugged TO the charger why attempting to restart the PlayBook?

Plug it in, do you see ANY red or yellow LED activity?

If you do, let it sit SEVERAL, 5-6 hours to charge, and LEAVE it plugged to the charger and depress the power button along with the UP volume about 20 seconds.

Anything?

Also:  Article ID: KB27705 BlackBerry PlayBook Power - Battery charge and discharge characteristics

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Hi Sanders, Thanks for trying to help me. When I plug in the charger, a solid red LED appears for about 10 seconds. I left the Playbook being charged for 24h. After this and with it still plugged to the charger I 1) pressed the power button along with the UP volume for 20+ seconds with no result. 2) pressed the power button along with the UP + DOWN volume for 20+ sec with no result. Then I unplugged the charger and plugged in again and while the red LED was appearing I pressed only the power button for 20+ sec with no result Then I unplugged the charger and plugged in again and while the red LED was appearing I pressed the power button along with the UP volume for 20+ seconds with no result. Then I unplugged the charger and plugged in again and while the red LED was appearing I pressed the power button along with the UP + DOWN volume for 20+ sec with no result. Any other idea?
Forums Veteran I
My Device: PlayBook 32 & 64 GB & Torch 9860, Z30
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

If your battery is dead or near dead, you have a problem. If you follow these instructions you may be able to make a recovery but it will take some time. The charger is controlled by software. The software will not run because the battery voltage is too low. When the battery is too low and you turn on the PB, It will only run for about 4 minutes and then shut down again. During this 4 minutes, the charger will begin charging but since the battery voltage is still too low, the unit will shut down again and the charger will shut off. To get the voltage up sufficiently for the PB To continue, you have to have the charger plugged in and every 5 minutes or so, you have to hold the power button on until the red light flashes then release it.It will once again recharge for 4 minutes. You may have to repeat these steps at least 10 times. Once the voltage gets up a bit, the charger should stay on but it will takes 6 hours to fully recharge the battery. When your charger is charging, it will feel warm to the touch so check it often to see if it is in fact charging.
New Contributor

Hi Lost_at_Sea

Thanks for your contribution.

Your idea helped me a lot. 

The green LED finally began to flash and now it appears to be charging.

God bless you.

Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

[ Edited ]

Excellent! Thanks Lost at Sea!

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Forums Veteran I
My Device: PlayBook 32 & 64 GB & Torch 9860, Z30
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

PS,
Make sure to keep it on the charger for 4 to 6 hours so it is fully charged.
Your welcome. Any other problems, the Community Forum is here to help those in need.
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: T mobile

Sorry it doesn't seem to work for me. Can you walk me through again? When I hold the power button it doesn't seem to do anything but turn the unit off. If I hold the power button when it's off it will just turn it on again....
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Vodafone

Hey i had the same problem, but now my blackberry has turned on but shows zero charge and when i bluged it in it does not charge. Please help me

Trusted Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Playbook
My Carrier: WiFi only (well, I do have a cheap Nokia with 7/11 SpeakOut)

[ Edited ]

Lost_at_Sea's instructions in a post above will work in both cases. Remember that this process will only work with the charger that came with the PlayBook (USB quick charger rated at 1800 milliamps).  It won't work with the rapid charger, cradle, third party charger, phone charger or computer USB port.

PlayBook 64GB and 32 GB