Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Regular Contributor
My Device: playbook 64GB
My Carrier: giffgaff

Re: Battery draining quickly - what is "normal"?

i'm not sure about that. It might be the case as blackberry phones use blackberry servers to communicate but that involves paying blackberry for their services. as playbook makes no contract with blackberry it uses regular emailing servers.
New Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: o2

I suspect the Hotmail standard push is draining the battery because the PlayBook appears to pull continuously when push is not supported.  I have been investigating why my broadband usage had dramatically increased.  The extra usage was uploads rather than downloads.  My upload usage was about 1Mbytes every minute (over 20Gbytes a month).  I traced this upload activity to my PlayBook (OS version 2.0.1.668).  I noticed that the standard Hotmail account settings did not offer a sync interval.  However under Advanced Settings there is a Push option that defaults to ON.  Below the Push option there is a greyed out Sync Interval setting.  By setting Push to OFF the sync interval can be set.  By setting the sync interval to 15 minutes the upload usage became insignificant.  This suggests that the PlayBook is continuously pulling Hotmail when Push is set to ON.  Is there any justification for pulling many times a second when push is not supported?  Is there any justification for hiding these controls under Advanced Settings?

Forums Advisor I
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314), Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746), Z10 (OS 10.3.1.1581)

Other's agree with you that it is related to Hotmail. http://forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-playbook-f222/battery-issues-pb-lately-related-hotmail-accou...

Interesting results about your bandwidth use going up so much. I just noticed on my Hotmail account on my PlayBook that I have multiple folders too (duplicates). So I may be being affected by this also? Not exactly sure yet. I use the Airplane Mode method on my tablet before putting it into standby...

Good job for being so thorough in your experimentation though!

Forums Advisor I
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314), Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746), Z10 (OS 10.3.1.1581)

[ Edited ]

j-l-c wrote:

I suspect the Hotmail standard push is draining the battery because the PlayBook appears to pull continuously when push is not supported.  I have been investigating why my broadband usage had dramatically increased.  The extra usage was uploads rather than downloads.  My upload usage was about 1Mbytes every minute (over 20Gbytes a month).  I traced this upload activity to my PlayBook (OS version 2.0.1.668).  I noticed that the standard Hotmail account settings did not offer a sync interval.  However under Advanced Settings there is a Push option that defaults to ON.  Below the Push option there is a greyed out Sync Interval setting.  By setting Push to OFF the sync interval can be set.  By setting the sync interval to 15 minutes the upload usage became insignificant.  This suggests that the PlayBook is continuously pulling Hotmail when Push is set to ON.  Is there any justification for pulling many times a second when push is not supported?  Is there any justification for hiding these controls under Advanced Settings?

Also, I would like to add your comment directly to that thread over on Crackberry. Is that alright with you? I will simply copy and paste your reply with proper credit to you. I think you've got some very good information here...

Update: Oh great, now that I've deleted my Hotmail account I can't add it back - at least not yet. I am going through this procedure to try and add it back so be warned: http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/viewdocument.do?noCount=true&externalId=KB32048&sliceId=2&cm...

Forums Advisor I

I have added your reply j-l-c over to the Crackberry forum thread I linked to earlier with proper credit to you.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?p=7656360#post7656360

Thank you!

Regular Contributor
My Device: playbook 64GB
My Carrier: giffgaff

no unfortunately its got nothing to do with hotmail as i dont have any accounts synced and i lose more power than a playbook with accounts pushed
New Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: o2

I was not suggesting that continuously pulling email from Hotmail was the only reason for battery draining.  However I am not clear what email accounts you currently have on your PlayBook.  You say you “dont have any accounts synced” but you previously posted on this thread “My hotmail has like 100 inbox folders just from me changing the setting on sync interval.”

Highlighted
Forums Advisor I

j-l-c wrote:

I was not suggesting that continuously pulling email from Hotmail was the only reason for battery draining.  However I am not clear what email accounts you currently have on your PlayBook.  You say you “dont have any accounts synced” but you previously posted on this thread “My hotmail has like 100 inbox folders just from me changing the setting on sync interval.”

Hey J-L-C, just so you know your suggestion was helpful, at least to me. I did run into some problems with Hotmail after deleting the account, but I found a thread to fix that. I had mutliple folders too in my inbox. I also adjusted the sync interval as per your suggestions and it has helped me so thank you.