Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook 32GB
My Carrier: Bell
Accepted Solution

Battery life , heat output and charge indicator

My PlayBook won't hold charge on standby all day anymore.  I tried fix off draining battery and charging 10 hours, several times.  No fix achieved.  PlayBook is now warm to the touch.  Though disconnected from power source the battery indicator still shows it as charging.

Any suggestions on issue and fix?

Thanks 

Highlighted
Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Battery life , heat output and charge indicator

[ Edited ]

Hi lisahaydon,

It sounds to me like the PlayBook might have some software issues which are causing the PlayBook to keep processes running.  This could be due to a bad app, or a bad app installation, or it may be at the OS level.  If that's the case, it may need to have the software reloaded on it. Start by simply restarting the PlayBook.  Also, if you installed any new apps just before this happened, delete them, and then reinstall them.  If those steps don't work, you'll need to try reloading the software next.  To reload the software, do the following:

1. Back up your PlayBook using the BlackBerry Desktop Software, or if you just need to back up your media, you can simply copy/paste to a folder on your computer using Windows Explorer.
2. While your PlayBook is plugged in and the BlackBerry Desktop Software is open, restart the PlayBook.
3. When a message pops up on your computer screen saying that your computer is unable to reconnect to your device, it will also give you the option of updating the software on the device. Click on the update button and follow the screen prompts. This will reload the software on your PlayBook and will essentially return your PlayBook to factory conditions.
4. Once your PlayBook restarts, go through the setup process again. Once that's done, you can either restore your backup, or manually redownload all apps, copy all of your files back, and set up your email, etc again (this is actually the best option, although it is more time consuming).

Does that resolve the issue? If not, your next step will be to contact RIM for warranty support assuming that it is still under warranty. If you need to go to that level, let us know and we can point you in the right direction.

Good luck!

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z10 & Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I would have to agree with Krypto. It appears to be a software issue. Follow his instructions and see what happens.
Be a Shepard and not an iSheep.
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you Kryto! Reloaded software and that fixed issues.  I am manually reloading apps and resetting up accounts.  The reload has made me realize that the performance has been deteriorated in several areas.  I will monitor closely to see if any of the issues reoccur.  Thank you again for your help! 

Forums Veteran I
My Device: PlayBook 32 & 64 GB & Torch 9860, Z30
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

If you notice some glitches creeping into the operation of the PlayBook, do a reboot by tapping the battery icon and then tap the restart button and wait for the PlayBook to reboot.
Elite I

That's great news Lisa!

If you ever have any issues in the future, let us know. Smiley Happy

Smiley Happy

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

New Contributor

So the fix is deteriorating.  You mentioned you had some suggestions to help me work with RIM.  Thanks for the help again.

Elite I

Alright, to contact RIM, go to http://blackberry.com/support, then select the BlackBerry PlayBook. On the PlayBook support page there should be a Contact Us link. You should be able to find the phone number for PlayBook Support there. It says its for 90 days of support, but they can also handle warranty related issues up to the end of the manufacturer's warranty of a year.

Good luck!