Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Fido

Best video format?

Hello,

I had some home videos and I converted them to .mp4. They came out very badly. They are only nice when I shrink them into the background (like an iPod). But the original .avi is very big and I don`t have much space. Any ideas? Thank you.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z10 & Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Re: Best video format?

i use .mp4 video format. But I use a commercially paid converter. Many of my files convert to the format are good quality. It also is specific to blackberry playbook.
Be a Shepard and not an iSheep.
New Contributor
My Carrier: Fido

what is the paid converter?
Contributor
My Carrier: MTN

use this :

Any video Converter

it's free and useful . convert to mp4 with a bitrate of 1000 to 6000 for low to hi quality source vids .

AVI or WMV are other choices . try them

Contributor
My Device: Playbook - 16GB
My Carrier: None

I used Any Video Converter too, and it did a good job of converting a mkv file to mp4, and it played very well on the PB. I connected the PB to my big screen tv and the picture quality of the movie was great.
Tom
My Carrier: AT&T

[ Edited ]

Hi, guys

I got this format used another paid converter, it's playback on playbook smoothly, you can try this format as below

Video - H.264 or MPEG-4 codec , 1024*600 resolution, 2000kbps or higher, 29.97 fps

Audio - AAC codec, 

this format profile screenshot is here

regards

Mark

Trusted Contributor
My Device: 8900/playbook
My Carrier: CMM

Mp4 with H.264 is the best video format for PB as far as i know, compared with avi file, mp4 with H.264 has same picture quality and not that big size, actually , i learnt this from this youtube video 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-nadxHSk6k&feature=player_embedded

And BTW, i purchased the registration code when they are in discount, if you think this is suitable for you, i suggset you download for a trial first and wait until Christmas Discount .

http://www.leawo.com/blu-ray/bluray-to-blackberry-playbook.html

Contributor
My Device: Playbook - 16GB
My Carrier: None

I am not sure it is best to convert to 1064X600. Playbook will playback everything up to 1920X1089. If you are thinking of streaming to your tv from the pb, set the size to your tv's native resolution. Mine is a 720P, so I set the movie resolution to 1280X720 and it plays well on the PB and on the TV.
Tom
Trusted Contributor
My Device: 9900 + Z30 (STA 100-5)
My Carrier: AT&T

Hi everyone.
I am converting some videos downloaded from youtube (mostly sesame street, music, etc for my son) so it really does not have to be highest quality.
I tried 512x*** (whatever is the matching resolution to keep the ratio) and it has been excellent.
But now I need to compress them even more so I can fit more videos, 16GB is really not helping, I wish we could upgrade the memory.

Anyway, now I am experimenting with other sizes and will post the results here, If anyone has suggestions, please let us know...