Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch
My Carrier: Bell

Blacbkerry Playbook MAJOR Screen/Display Problems

I've only had my Blackberry Playbook for 3 months, and ever since 2.0 software update I have been experiencing problems with it. These problems were small at first, but have progressed to where my PB is unusable. The problem first started where the display would look distorted. Next the screen would start to flicker, and would sometimes go completely blank. To fix these problems I would just turn the display on and off. Whenever I would start up my PB the boot up process would sometimes fail leaving a lighter blank screen and I would have to reboot it by pressing the power and +/- volume buttons. The biggest problem I have experienced would have been a few days ago, when it took me at least a half hour to get my PB to turn on, and when it did after a couple of minutes the screen went blank where I was unable to see my display and could not get it to come back on. To try to solve this issue I backed up my playbook and then did a security wipe. As I was going through set-up for my PB the screen went blank and I have not been able to see the display for about 3 days when it suddenly turned on. I was going through setup again and what do you know, the screen goes blank. The device is on as I can hear it take screen shots. I have tried everything possible to fix it, and every type of reboot multiple times. Either the screen will come on as a lighter black, or will flicker. The led will turn on when it starts to turn on but nothing else. I have tried to turn it on plugged in, and not plugged in, and plugged into my computer. However, I can’t do anything with it plugged into my computer because it has not been set-up. I have tried leaving it what I believe is off (it is hard to tell when the screen is already black) and or/ plugged in for hours and have not resolved the issue. I'm hoping I don't have to send my PB away so if anyone has any possible solutions to try please let me know, otherwise I'm going to have to bring it back to the store I bought it from or contact RIM.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z10 & Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Re: Blacbkerry Playbook MAJOR Screen/Display Problems

Contact support and get an RMA.
Be a Shepard and not an iSheep.
Contributor

yeah I already did, I tried everything else and didn't want to wait for someone to reply on this thread. They took me through a few test, and tried to reinstall the software but it seems to be a hardware issue and has to be sent back for repair.

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry playbook
My Carrier: NA

[ Edited ]

Hi.. Is this problem solved.  I wanted to know as I am getting this play problem now after 1yr of usage.  

Whenever I'm able to see the screen properly, I could work for long hours.. Once I turn off the screen getting it normal is a painfull job, several on and offs required to get it proper.. Once I took a screen shot while appearing multiple vertical colored lines.. Screen shot observed to be normal perfect screen stored in camera pictures. One time sound stoped working, restart did resolve the sound problem. Now situations is like when my screen will become ON, after so much of trouble each time.. About to expire warranty.. Product may go wasteful in next 10days, if completely not resolved.. 

If your problem resolved plz help me how

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

I've been having the exact same problem.  I haven't been able to use my tablet for 6 months. Is the only fix to have fix the actually hardware? I've had it for 2 years and the warrenty has definilty expired at this point

Contributor

Hi, yeah I got this problem fixed now as it was almost two years ago this happened. I called blackberry support and they were very patient and good to deal with. The tech I was talking to got me to reset my playbook and reinstall new software to rule out if it was a software problem or not. At the time I was on university internet so it was slow doing so, so instead of waiting hours on the phone, the tech told me he was going to email me and for me to reply when it was done. I did reply to the email, however instead of waiting I called again to speed up the proccess. This is something they would probably ask you to do too to see if it is hardware or software problem. When I called back they said it was probably a hardware problem, and said I needed to send my playbook back and the service was excellent. I said I was leaving in about 7 days to go home for christmas and said I would like my playbook back, and believed that I wouldn't have it for break as I was in Newfoundland and mail can take some time getting here. They sent me a package to place my playbook in, express post already paid for and I recieved it in 2 days. I shipped it back, and they had sent me back my playbook, fixed, within 5 days. I receieved it the morning I was going home. And if that wasn't impressive, about a week later they called me asking if I received my playbook, if it was working fine or not, and if it was okay to close my file. I haven't had a problem with my playbook since. So I would advise you to call them, and it may take some time on the phone, but if you do have to ship your playbook back, their service is excellent. 

New Contributor

Wow, thats great.   Unfortunately, after searching the site, there doesn't appear to be too much support for the playbook any longer.  They don't supply a phone number any longer and their "direct access" does not work where I can send an email.  I have no idea how else to contact anyone and get any kind of support.  I placed a general post in the forum hoping that maybe someone from RIM would see it.

Thank you for replying. I'm so glad it was an easy fix.  Hopefully I can cfind a way to contact someone for the same support.

New Contributor

Has any been able to contact RIM? All I get are auto responses through emails saying that my request cannot be fulfilled. The website also says that there is no customer service number for the Playbook. The black screen of death has rendered my Playbook unusable and I can't find anyone to contact for help. I'm very close to tossing it and getting an android tablet.