Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: Telus

Re: BlackBerry 10 on PlayBook

I've been following the BB10 for PB discussion closely. I'm not bitter or annoyed, I just want to express my position in the event RIM is listening.

I have been impressed with the cost/quality factor of my PB and love the size. Previously I was a Win/Mo guy and now my phone is Android. So I am now in the position of a school principal move in September and will need to make my selection by then. 

Not knowing whether my PB will get BB10 makes me very hesitant to cross over to a BB phone. I like my Android phone, but not the tablets. I am leaning toward an IPhone mated with the IPad mini. Of course a Samsung Note may be the simple answer.

Long and short, patience isn't an option for me when it comes to work requirements. So, you have 4 to 6 weeks before I have to make my choice. Hope you can get things figured out by then. Fingers crossed.

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: AT&T for now

I was using my Playbook much of the past academic year for lectures. After buying a z10 and adding BlackBerry Link to the laptop, BlackBerry desktop will no longer speak with the PlayBook.  Now I cannot transport information from one to the other.  If BB10 comes out for the PlayBook, then presumably BlackBerry Link will re-enable me to teach with the tablet.

Otherwise I have to go into class and tell them that BlackBerry is no longer functional.

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800 / PlayBook / Z10 / Passport
My Carrier: O2 UK

There is a saying "no news is good news" though in this case it is becoming quite frustrating to say the least.  I have no doubt that BB10 is coming to PlayBook but when?? Surely now halfway through the year we deserve some positive and official feedback?  

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800 / PlayBook / Z10 / Passport
My Carrier: O2 UK

A statement from BlackBerryt would be nice. Silence is not Golden. 

Contributor
My Carrier: NA

I have owned a Playbook for approx. 1 month. I have been following this forum since then. My question here is; what functional changes and or improvements would I expect to see with the introduction of BB10 ? I do not own any other Blackberry product and do not anticipate purchasing any other Blackberry product. With a few minor execptions I am happy with the functioning of my Playbook. I would appreciate hearing from a forum member who could explain what it is I am missing without BB10.

This question is asked honestly. I have no knowledge of BB10 and/or how it functions on other Blackberry products. Thanks

Forums Advisor I
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314), Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746), Z10 (OS 10.3.1.1581)

[ Edited ]

Ablack13 wrote:

I have owned a Playbook for approx. 1 month. I have been following this forum since then. My question here is; what functional changes and or improvements would I expect to see with the introduction of BB10 ? I do not own any other Blackberry product and do not anticipate purchasing any other Blackberry product. With a few minor execptions I am happy with the functioning of my Playbook. I would appreciate hearing from a forum member who could explain what it is I am missing without BB10.

This question is asked honestly. I have no knowledge of BB10 and/or how it functions on other Blackberry products. Thanks

Some anticipated changes (but not confirmed as no one but BlackBerry knows if/when BB10 will come to the PlayBook and what form it will take) include: JellyBean (4.2) Android capability in the Android Player (will allow us a MUCH greater variety of applications and speed/stability improvements - we're using version 2.3.3 fyi), time shift camera (allows capturing a few frames before and after a shot so you can pick out a decent frame where subjects in your shot have their eyes open...then you can save that as your actual shot while discarding the other frames, access to the BlackBerry 10 native apps. Right now we can't get any BB 10 apps on the PlayBook since we run OS 2.1. That means our app ecosystem is DEAD right now to any new releases. That's three biggies off the top of my head...I know there's more and I hope others add to this list and I will too when they come to mind...

Oh, some more items: HDR Camera mode allows users to shoot two photos at once, one in HDR mode and a separate in standard shooting mode. BlackBerry reps said the reason for the dual shooting mode is because most users don’t know when using HDR mode is appropriate and when it isn’t. By building two shooting modes into the HDR mode, users will be able to capture an image in HDR and standard mode and then choose which photo looks best. PIN messaging, BBM which stands for BlackBerry Messenger (including freshly announced channels). Improved cursor controls when highlighting and selecting text. Updated Adobe Flash player and hopefully speed improvements in the web browser (hopefully no more checkerboarding and crashes).

I'm hoping for BlackBerry Maps myself but most definitely the web browser improvements...that is a must have for me.

Contributor
My Carrier: NA

Thanks for the feedback. It does sound as though there would be some useable improvements to the Playbook. Now I can join everyone else on this thread holding my breath for the big announcement.

Forums Advisor I
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314), Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746), Z10 (OS 10.3.1.1581)

[ Edited ]

Ablack13 wrote:

Thanks for the feedback. It does sound as though there would be some useable improvements to the Playbook. Now I can join everyone else on this thread holding my breath for the big announcement.

You're welcome. Ya, it's a very significant update if it actually comes to be. Otherwise our tablets are dead in the water...I mean, any new apps that are released we can't have - like a piece of cheese being dangled in front of a starving mouse. A faster and more stable web browser is the cornerstone of any tablet. Our's is just SLOW (but capable). I don't personally need a "message hub" like the phones have on my tablet, constantly running and chewing up resources. If that can't be had on a 1GB RAM device with a 1 GHz dual-core CPU then I am fine with giving that up. I actually quite like the email application as it is. BBM messaging would be awesome...I mean BlackBerry is releasing this to Apple and Android before it's own tablet even gets BBM. How is that for embarrassing?

Oh and don't hold your breath. You'll die. We've been waiting for a long, long time. If it drops, it's most likely to happen before the end of summertime...that could be as late as the end of Sept. If after that, well, I pretty much give up. Thorsten Heins did say before the end of 2013 and so he has until Dec 31, 2012 (11: 59:59 pm) techincally...

If BlackBerry doesn't keep their word, you'll see a HUGE amount of negative feedback and backlash. Promise...I'll be one of them complaining LOUDLY.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

Is that end of summer time Northern hemisphere or Southern? Gives the man another six months' leeway. 

My Carrier: None

Don't hold your breath waiting on any software upgrades for the BB10. Why would Blackberry want spend their time an money on a product that will soon be obsolete? I don't see store shelves loaded with PBs and there are not all that many of them around as iPODs or Galaxys.
Also these PBs are plagued with design issues such as the usb/charge port.failing, and camera 4003 errors that seemed to have popped up. Also email crashes more often then it should, Wifi connectivity is poor, Web browsing is not the best and slow, and there are not that many great Apps available. Big hint, is there aa flood of software developers working on PB Apps?
A few of my friends also experience the same problems and some have moved on the other tablets with good results,
So rather then waiting for an software upgrade, research the other tablets that are available and what Apps are available.
Samsung has a ton of Apps as well as Apple.
Time to move on folks!
P.S. My camera also stopped working after the last fw upgrade and BB. Says it is a HW problem. Both front and rear cameras at the same time? $150 to repair. That's $150 towards another tablet for me.