Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Telus

BlackBerry Desktop software cannot communicate with the connected device. (Playbook)

No luck with getting the Desktop software to talk to my PlayBook.  Have reviewed and worked through KB27204, KB26904 and KB27424 (inc referenced articles).  No issues with the Desktop software communicating with my 9800 Torch.

KB26904 indicates the "Network and Sharing Center" should detect Research In Motion Network Device but it doesn't.  Only my two LAN connections are shown.

Using Windows 7 X64 SP1, Playbook OS 2.1.0.1526, BlackBerry Desktop software 7.1.0.41, BlackBerry Device Manager 6.0.0.69.

Windows Device Manager has:

--- Network adapters > RIM Network Device with a device status of "No drivers installed"

--- Universal Serial Bus controllers > USB Composite Device with a device status of "Working properly" (for the port the Playbook is connected to)

BlackBerry Device Manager has:

--- Connected Devices > BlackBerry PlayBook with IPv4 address of 169.254.62.245 (or similar)

BlackBerry Desktop software has:

--- Device > BlackBerry PlayBook with correct PIN

BlackBerry PlayBook has:

--- Connected to Computer notification window

--- AC plug overlay on Battery status indicator

The following is the normal sequence:

--- Open BlackBerry Desktop software (also initalized BlackBerry Device Manager) which defaults to Device > BlackBerry Torch 9800

--- Connect PlayBook (displays Connected to Computer screen)

--- BlackBerry Device Manager notification of "BlackBerry [PIN: xxx] has been connected to the system. Initializing device access."

--- BlackBerry Desktop software switches to Device > BlackBerry PlayBook

--- BlackBerry Desktop software pop-up window "BlackBerry Desktop software cannot communicate with the connected device."

Logging on as Administrator and disabling my anti-virus has no effect.  Presumably I've managed to overlook something so any feedback will be appreciated.

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook 32G
My Carrier: Not applicable

Re: BlackBerry Desktop software cannot communicate with the connected device. (Playbook)

I have had the same experience using Win 8 but not with Win 7 64bit. If I move the PB from the Win 8 PC to the Win 7 PC, everything works just fine.

I attempted to 'add device' through the control panel and it came up with a defective driver.

New Contributor
My Device: torch 9800
My Carrier: telus

Re: BlackBerry Desktop software cannot communicate with the connected device. (Playbook)

Does your Win 7 Device Manager show a Driver is installed for the RIM Network Adaptor?
Contributor
My Device: 32 gb Playbook
My Carrier: rogers

Was wondering Did you get a fix for this problem? I am having the same problem

New Contributor

Darwinr - No luck so far.  Even uninstalled, rebooted and went through the registry deleting every BlackBerry and RIM reference I could find, reboot and re-install.  Same result.

Contributor

I have been working on this for a few days to no avail. But I have narrowed it down a bit. brought mine to a friend that has Blackberry device manager on his laptop but no BlackBerry Desktop software. plugged it in and it recognizes the playbook and maps it to my computer all files are avilable to browse and even loaded up a couple of movies to watch.

got home and tried again on my computer - no work. my wife's - no work, tried my sons windows 8 laptop and it loaded and mapped it. after loading it BDM says to unplug and plug back in. when I unplugged it windows did an update and then would not map it again. now back to same results on his computer. This problem seems to be some kind of windows update/ BDM problem. Blackberry dosn't now how to fix problem and neither does Microsoft. I give up! Too bad because I really liked my playbook. I've had enough of this. Now heading to Best Buy to purchase Asus memo 10.1 " at $279.00.  Maybe will try again when BB10 OS comes around.

Yours Truly , a maybe former playbook user

New Contributor

Darwainr - Thanks for the feedback.  Suspect that unless it is OS 10 related, BlackBerry isn't spending any time or resources on issues not affecting major clients.

Interesting to note that the BB Desktop Manager actually does communicate with the Playbook because when I clicked on the Update button in the "BB Desktop software cannot communicate..." message window the Playbook actually went and updated its OS (same version).  End result was same.

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook 32G
My Carrier: Not applicable

I don't have any problem connecting to Win 7 machine, only Win 8. When I connect the Desktop software 'sees' the Playbook, but can't communicate with it. I don't think this is a RIM problem, but something Win 8 is doing.
New Contributor

akd  On your Win 7 under

Windows Device Manager > Network Adaptors > RIM Network Adaptor

does it show a Device Driver is installed?

Mine shows "No device Driver installed" but not sure if this is normal.

Contributor

win 7 , win 8 did not matter with mine. But this weekend went to my cottage and hooked up with a win 7 netbook I keep there and it connected. This was a first time to ever connect to this computer and it wasn't connected to the internet since last year  (no windows updates). I am having no problems with either mine or my wife's playbook. Definitely think this is a windows security update. Maybe try removing all bb drivers from your computer then try try plugging playbook back in with internet disconnected. It might already be to late because  win update is already there but worth a try!