Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Regular Contributor
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: Sprint

Re: BlackBerry Playbook upgrade OS v1.0.5.2304 introduces a variety of new features and enhancements

Poynt has a problem getting my location as well, it needs wifi to work on the playbook. Would be nice if it was apart of the bridge apps. It's neat being able to pair with the poynt app on your phone but does no good unless the playbook has a network connection.
Trusted Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9700 // BlackBerry Playbook
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: BlackBerry Playbook upgrade OS v1.0.5.2304 introduces a variety of new features and enhancements

That's the thing I've tried getting it to connect with both wifi and bridge. I've reinstalled, iv checked permissions no luck. The Playbook knowledgebase says this might b a known issue and that an alternative fix is tethering. But I don't want to pay to tether my phone, for an app to work properly. Bing Maps works altho not the best, and even the mapsapp or whatever seems to work fine and get my location.
Regular Contributor

Have you tried entering your home address?

Regular Contributor

The location search on mine will not bring up anything but when I enter my actual address it works.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9700 // BlackBerry Playbook
My Carrier: Rogers

home address doesnt work says cannot connect to server
Super Contributor
My Device: PlayBook 32GB and PlayBook 16GB
My Carrier: DCI Telecom

The OANDA currency exchange app does not work after the OS upgrade.
New Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: NA

[ Edited ]

Don't know about Poynt.  Bing doesn't work right.  My PlayBook will not find my location even though I am:  1) Outside; 2) Connected to a WiFi network; 3) Even after Google Maps HAS found my location.  So....I suspect there is a problem with one (at least) of (probably) several system calls that an app can make to get the GPS to return coordinates.  Bing does NOT work correctly on my PlayBook (plain WiFi PlayBook, no Bridge or anything fancy).

Super Contributor
My Device: PlayBook 32GB and PlayBook 16GB
My Carrier: DCI Telecom

osanders wrote:
Poynt has a problem getting my location as well, it needs wifi to work on the playbook. Would be nice if it was apart of the bridge apps. It's neat being able to pair with the poynt app on your phone but does no good unless the playbook has a network connection.

There are too many map applications for the PlayBook (Poynt; MapApp; GPS World Map; etc.) Not one of them is very good. Also all of these apps must have network access either WiFi or tethering to a 3G net for information.

With it's built-in GPS receiver the PlayBook should be able to work unassisted - just like any GPS designed as a driving/cycling/walking aid - without WiFi or tethering access to data services.. All the PlayBook needs is maps and POIs in a downloadable format.

Regular Contributor

LuayS is poynt installed on your phone, if so are you able to pair with the playbook? Also have you tried other wifi locations?
Regular Contributor

As mentioned above without a connection poynt like others is useless. I have it on my phone and works great but on the playbook only works in a wifi location. When paired it works like a bigger screen for your phone.