Thank you for visiting the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.
BlackBerry will be closing the BlackBerry Support Community Forums Device Forums on April 1st (Developers, see below)
BlackBerry remains committed to providing excellent customer support to our customers. We are delighted to direct you to the CrackBerry Forums, a well-established and thorough support channel, for continued BlackBerry support. Please visit http://forums.crackberry.com or http://crackberry.com/ask. You can also continue to visit BlackBerry Support or the BlackBerry Knowledge Base for official support options available for your BlackBerry Smartphone.
"When we launched CrackBerry.com 10 years ago, we set out to make it a fun and useful destination where BlackBerry Smartphone owners could share their excitement and learn to unleash the full potential of their BlackBerry. A decade later, the CrackBerry community is as active and passionate as ever and I know our knowledgeable members and volunteers will be excited to welcome and assist more BlackBerry owners with their questions."
- Kevin Michaluk, Founder, CrackBerry.com
Developers, for more information about the BlackBerry Developer Community please review Join the Conversation on the BlackBerry Developer Community Forums found on Inside BlackBerry.
05-03-2011 10:20 AM
I opened a suppport ticket and was lead to another solution. I was told:
"When the PlayBook is connected it should be listed under the Network Adapters in Windows Device Manager as a 'Research In Motion Network Device'"
When I opened Device Manager I noticed a "down arrow" on the icon next to the Research In Motion Network Device. It was Disabled. After enabling it, DM was able to "see" the device. With or without Wi-Fi enabled. Hope that helps.
05-05-2011 05:53 PM
I am having this problem as well. But mine just started. I previously hooked up and downloaded files perfectly. All was well until last night. Now I have the problems described here. After over 3 hourse with tech support and finally getting a higher "tier" of support, they think issue is with some Windows updates that were downloaded to my laptop in the intervening period between it first recognizing the PB and now. Very frustrating. I have no idea what to do and neither do techs. Tried it on another PC and worked fine but not on mine so not a PB hardware issue. HELP!!
05-08-2011 02:00 PM
One "trick" that has helped many, is to first switch OFF the Playbook, connect it to the computer, and then switch PB ON. For some that should trigger install of drivers (if that waws the problem) . Hopefully DM would then find your PB
05-09-2011 10:14 AM - edited 05-09-2011 10:21 AM
I've been having a similar issue and spent most of Friday on the phone with various members and tiers of BB Support. I'm running Windows 7 64 bit. One support individual told me that the Media Sync functions in Desktop Software required Win7 SP1 to work. After installing SP1 the issue persisted. My call with tech support ended with them telling me that this is a known issue with Windows 7. (During an independent test I found that I could get the Playbook to connect properly with a Windows Vista 64 bit machine.)
I tried the suggestions listed on this site.
Launch BBDS, connect PB, soft reboot PB (this is with Bluetooth and WiFi off) - Media Sync fails to connect, no mapped drive shows up, PB does not show up as a device in the listed network, PB does not charge over USB.
05-10-2011 10:28 AM
I think I have tried all of the combinations mentioned on this site without success.
In addition, I sem to have a situation on one machine (XP) where the desktop Software re-loads every time I plug the Play Book in.
On that machine I can see the PlayBook as a mass storage device, but it shows as 570MB (for a 64 G machine) as 100% full so no files can be moved.
05-18-2011 01:12 AM
I've just solved this on a Windows 7 32-bit environment.
My issue was that drivers were being obtained from Windows Update, and not from the local file system where they were installed by DM.
Steps I took were:
1, Turn wifi off on the playbook
2. Attach the Playbook to PC using USB
3. In Windows 7, from the control panel,Open the Device Manager, under "Network Adapters" locate "Research In Motion Netword Device". Double click to open, then, go to the "Driver" tab,
4. Click "Update Driver", then "Browse My Computer for Driver"
5. Navigate to "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion",Check "include subdirectories" click "Next"
6. Drivers should install
7. Start DM
05-28-2011 12:29 PM
Hi. I solved this by doing everything (well almost) that everyone suggested. First I turned off my wifi and blue tooth. Then I went to RIMs site and installed the USB Modem drivers package.
Then I went into my device manager where I saw that the playbook was listed but had the down arrow. I clicked on it and went to ENABLE device. Then I went to driver tab and when i tried to upate it, it said it was already up to date.
I exited out of my system folder and shut the playbook right off. I opened the desktop manager then minumized it. Then i turned the playbook back on. Windows picked it up and installed the drivers for it, then desktop manager picked it up.
After a minute or 2 it was then listed in explorer as drive z.
now if i could get the thing to charge i would be happy.
06-24-2011 12:18 AM - edited 06-24-2011 12:19 AM
lindstrom's solution helped for me:
"First switch OFF the Playbook, connect it to the computer, and then switch PB ON. For some that should trigger install of drivers."
Windows installed the drivers for BlackBerry Smartphone and everything worked fine after that.
EDIT: I do not have BBDM installed at all.
06-24-2011 05:22 AM