Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Blackberry Desktop does not see Playbook when connected USB

Wouldn't really matter if your playbook could acess the setup files on the playbook..your computer needs those files, not the PB.

Same problem with two computers? Same specs? Or different..

If its not being recognized at all by either computer you may just have a bad cable..or worse..a bad usb port on the Playbook.

What has technical support said?

Suprised they wouldn't be able to resolve this.

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook OS 2.0.1
My Carrier: Safaricom

[ Edited ]

the two PC are different makes and run different Windows 7 (Ult and Ent). the same cable works fine for Bold 9700, as does the DM. The USB port on PB is fine, it sees the PCs and reports connection. The PCs see PB, DM even reports ID, but the PCs do not install drivers from PB - after the upgrade of OS. Over WiFI, Pc sees Playbook no problem, bit not the /drivers directory... Before upgrade, everything was fine. Wrote to technical support, but otherwise just waiting for the update of either OS or DM.

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Playbook 64, with current software
My Carrier: Not Applicable

I have the same issue. Playbook has the latest software. It has all the options set correctly. I have tried various USB's, there are some articles on not enough USB power supplied in order to connect.

It worked once with my Mac, never with my xp and I am about to try my win 7. All these are via USB.

Playbook connects wirelessly to my wireless hub. At least the hub says it is connected. Non of the other devices that are connected to the hub can access the Playbook. Again all available tips have been followed.

It is a great device, but many people are having connection problem, including those that are technical savey.

To me the problem is the Playbook is fusy what it connects to, due to some design problems that are known only to BlackBerry, which they do not want to admit to. Our only hope is that they plan to address them and fix them.

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook OS 2.0.1
My Carrier: Safaricom

Support resolved my case! I hope it helps to the others, too:

" In Device Manager, under Universal Serial Bus Controllers, you should have a few USB Root Hubs available.  For each of these, right click, select Properties, and then select the Power Management tab.  Make sure the "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" check box is clear (no checkmark) and save that setting.  Do this for each of the USB Root Hubs in the list.

Next, please ensure User Account Control settings are not preventing the device from being recognized.  You can find the instructions in this Microsoft Knowledge Base article: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Turn-User-Account-Control-on-or-off

I would recommend again completely uninstalling BlackBerry Desktop Software and BlackBerry Device Manager from the computer.  Please reboot the computer after the above has been checked or modified. 

Then, under Microsoft Device Manager when you have plugged the BlackBerry PlayBook in, right click on the "RIM Network Device" and select uninstall.  This will uninstall the USB drivers.  You can then reinstall them by plugging the BlackBerry PlayBook in to the computer, as the drivers are saved on the BlackBerry PlayBook.  If there is problem installing the drivers, follow these steps:

To share files between a Windows based PC and the BlackBerry PlayBook, BlackBerry® Device Manager will need to be installed. Complete the following steps to install BlackBerry Device Manager:

1. Connect the BlackBerry PlayBook to the computer via USB cable.
  2. If BlackBerry Device Manager is not yet installed, the BlackBerry PlayBook will display a screen entitled Installing Drivers.
  3. On the computer, double click the BlackBerry PlayBook CD drive icon.
  4. Open the Drivers folder.
  5. Double click Setup.exe.
  6. After selecting the appropriate region and accepting the License Agreement select Install.
  7. Select Finish and then OK to the prompt confirming that the PlayBook will need to be disconnected and then reconnected prior to use.
  8. Once reconnected to the computer, the BlackBerry PlayBook will be mounted as a Network Drive labelled PlayBook [PIN: 500AAAAA]. 
  9. Double click the network drive icon to access the PlayBook folders.

I would recommend then installing the current release of BlackBerry Desktop Software again."

I did all this, Desktop Manager 7 was installed, then I Installed Desktop Software 6.1.0, disconnected-reconnected, it reinstalled DM7 ("repair" option), and after restarting DS everything works. Playbook also shows as a network drive, and Device manager listst it under Network Adapters. Thanks, RIM support!

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Various

I had the same issue with my Bluetooth on my new laptop. Power Management would turn it off.

Thanks for posting.
New Contributor
My Device: Playbook 64g
My Carrier: 6048543448

Thanks!  This worked. I am able to sync perfectly now.

New Contributor
My Device: PlayBook / Curve 9300
My Carrier: AT&T

Confirming that this post of 4/22/11 actually does work - at least on XP!!!!! I modified the steps a little:

"Worked! Steps that worked for me were:

1. Turn off PlayBook and disconnect the USB cable. Set the Desktop Manager software to turn on when a device is connected (Tools>Desktop Options>General). Exit the DM software. Turn off the PC.
2.  Plug in PlayBook (while turned off).
3.  Restart the PC. 
4. The first successful Windows Plug and Play install will run automatically. No splash screen will be visible, but you will see hard disk activity.
5. The restarting PC will launch the PlayBook first, and then the Desktop Manager comes on when PB is nearly booted. When DM comes on, it will state that you need to retry the connection or upgrade the tablet OS. Select Retry. DM will attempt to connect to the PB but hang (will show PB as "connecting."). It will not see the PB. At this stage, you should be able to examine Device Manager in Windows (System>Device Manager>Network Adapters) and see a RIM device in the list. The RIM device only shows up when the PB is active.)
6. After a few minutes, disconnect and turn off the PlayBook. Exit the DM software. Turn off the PC. Plug in the PlayBook while "off".
7. Restart the PC.
8. The restarting PC will start the PlayBook, as before, and Desktop Manager will start as the PlayBook reboots. Select "Retry" if necessary. Desktop Manager will now see the PlayBook after a short "connecting" period.

Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Vodafone India

The solution is simple!

On PlayBook > Storage & Sharing > USB Connections > Change to Automatically Detect!

This worked for me since I had set it to Windows even though I was using Windows 7. Changing to Automatic is not installing the drivers.

Amazing BlackBerry 10
New Contributor
My Device: playbook 64mb
My Carrier: none

So I have tried nearly all the above described remedies with no success.  I run Win7 ent. (32bit) on an HP Pavilion. Was working well before the OS2 upgrade.  Now explorer hangs when trying to open playbook.  I did go to RIM website to download their device & modem drivers pkg.  Explorer no longer hangs and desktop software sees the PB but it is grayed out and not accessable and the PB will not move from the "connected to comp." screen.  When desktop software 7.0 is installed the PB changes from a cd drive to "other device -Blackberry network adaptor"  All drivers are designated as either "fully updated or cannot be found"  Not sure where to turn now.  Android? Ipad? (God forbid, I don't want to live in I world)

New Contributor
My Device: playbook 64mb
My Carrier: none

[ Edited ]

Hooray!  Rim comes through with a fix.   After three weeks of attempting many of the suggestions in this thread and those over at the Crackberry forum I found myself in the Blackberry Beta Zone downloading Desktop Software for Blackberry and Devices V7.1.   Up to this point I had been working with Desktop Software V7.0.  Big difference V7.1 works.  PB is mapped as drive Z.  Along the way I became aware that I have 64 bit, not 32 as I previously reported.   I am Once again a happy camper running  HP Pavilion, Win7/64bit and PB/64

peter416