Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Z10 and Playbook
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Blackberry Desktop does not see Playbook when connected USB

I am going to open a ticket as well.. maybe with more reports, the answer will come sooner..  Just as quick check, does everyone that is having the problem "Not" seeing attached Playbook in DM also see that the Playbook does NOT charge when connected via USB?  As soon as I connect to my " working"  XP (32bit) machine the Playbook starts Charging..  Maybe it is just a driver issue??

Contributor
My Device: torch and Playbook
My Carrier: att

I do get an icon in the top right of the Playbook's screen that it is charging.

New Contributor
My Device: 9700 OS 6.0
My Carrier: Bell

[ Edited ]

Same problem. Unable to connect via USB. BB Desktop suggests update software. Altready have latest version on PB.

After much trial and error, this solution works every time: With BB Desktop running, reset the PB as follows: Use the "soft" power off button at the bottom of the "all" applications list. Two buttons will pop up. Choose "Restart". Wait a long time. (3 - 5 minutes). Then it connects.

They really need to fix this!!!

Running WinXP, 32 bit, PB 16GB, Software 1.0.1.1710

Contributor

Tried billgentles suggestion and did not work. :-( Seems to be a common problem but with variable symptoms.
Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900 + 64 GB Playbook
My Carrier: Telus

I am having the same issue as well.  On my laptop (Vista 32 bit) the one suggested solution does work (opening desktop manager, plugging in playbook, then restarting it).  But  I have to do this everytime.  On my PC (where all my media files are) this does not work.  When I reset the Playbook, DM does recognize that a Playbook is connected, but I cannot access it. 

However I should note that with both computers I was able to map the Playbook as a network drive, and have been successful in moving files back and forth that way.

New Contributor
My Device: bb 8900
My Carrier: tmobile

Something told me to try my USB cord from my phone and it woked. It might be a faulty usb cord they sent out with the playbook. 

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook; 9780
My Carrier: Logistics manager

Same issue for my desktop PC, it shows "unknown device" in DM.

Tried uninstall DM then reinstall it but that doesn't help...

Contributor

I tried multiple USB cords as ljqin12 suggested. Even tried different ports including USB 2.0 and 3.0 directly on the MB. Same end result. Have not heard any response from tech support. Makes me think this may be a BIG problem for them.
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8900 Bridged to the Playbook 32GB
My Carrier: AT&T

The problem currently is that BB Playbook is a new device and Microsoft has not provided a default driver for this device yet. BB Playbook drivers are only being installed (provide by RIM) when the DM has been opened and the PB has been connected to the computer via USB. This is what is happening to everyone in this forum. Also your USB cables will not charge your device unless DM has been opened and the driver is installed for your device. Another problem area lies in the DM. It currently is not completing the Backup for the PB. This has been failing regularly... Lately.
If my response helps you correct any issue that you're having, award me a KUDO by pressing the Star below. Then press Accept As Solution.
Contributor

I believe the drivers are on the Playbook itself. At least that is what the message on the Playbook states when it is trying to install.

I just received a response from tech support. They said return it to the store where I bought it to see if it does not work on one of their computers. I already tried it on three of mine and bought it online. They are claiming a bad USB port on the device. Not happy with RIM's response.