Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: Blackberry Desktop does not see Playbook when connected USB

Hi,

These articles contain some of the solutions the users in this thread have posted, they also provide additional settings. The procedures are laid out in order and most have the referenced screen shots as well.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Bifocals

"BlackBerry Desktop Software cannot communicate with the connected device" when attempting to connec...

Unable to connect to BlackBerry PlayBook using BlackBerry Desktop Software

BlackBerry Desktop Software Release Notes 6.1 b34

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Developer
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Rogers

It seems that the "most common fix" is connecting your PB to the computer while the PB is turned OFF.

This helped me on Windows 7 x64, PB 16GB, no Blackberry Desktop Manager at all (it seems it is not even needed for file transfer) and now it worked for you MataMike on WinXP with different PB model. It looks like only when PB is OFF the OS detects the device type and then installs correct drivers for that device, but funny thing is that devices "identity" changed with PB OS upgrade...

It would be nice to hear if other people with this issue are managing to solve it the way I (we) did. That might give us the universal solution.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

another problem is trying to identify WHY the failure occurs. Mine hooked up fine several times, then it just started showing a network icon in tray with the flashing yellow dot, which eventually said local cable had limited connection. Was it due to os upgrade? Some app I installed? Or because I had tried (but failed) to connect by wifi at work (note, wifi worked fine at home using same PB and same laptop )..... just another Bermuda Triangle mystery!
Guru I

Hi,

This procedure will allow you to get an audit of the connection problems.

Thanks,

Bifocals

How to turn on Desktop Manager connection logging

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Verison

After spending the last two days trying to get my DM to recognize my PB on my laptop that is running Windows 7 Professional...Called RIM to open a ticket (they could not identify the problem....still waiting for a return phone call!!)....uninstalled and installed DM numerous times....downloaded latest Windows updates....tried many of the recommendations contained within these threads and others...finally just gave up....

Sooooo.....downloaded DM on my home desktop that is running Windows XP...plugged in my PB and everything seems to work fine...can see the PB as a "drive" and can drop and drag files....could use DM as well but prefer to drop and drag...I can only assume this is a Windows 7 issue....hope a fix is in the works for Windows 7.... 

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

prefer to not use DM..... and works fine now....sees PB as drive z.
Guru I

Hi all,

Article ID: KB27204

Type: Support Content

Last Modified: 06-27-2011

"BlackBerry Desktop Software cannot communicate with the connected device" when attempting to connect the BlackBerry PlayBook with the BlackBerry Desktop Software using Windows 7 x64

Thanks,

Bifocals

Developer
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Rogers

Even though the Subject of this thread is as it is, I would go a bit off topic and say that I personally do not see the need to use the BlackBerry Desktop Manager to transfer files to and from PlayBook when it is much easier and more convenient to access it as a drive, just as  MikeMiata and I did.

You will be able to see all the folders and all the files and you will also be able to manipulate the files directly between your OS and the PlayBook, without the need for any software that sits (and doesn't work) in between.

Since I never even tried using the BBDM to work with PlayBook I might be missing some features that it offers and thus I will give the benefit of the unknown to the BBDM and wish all of you guys luck in getting it to work.

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook and Bold 9000
My Carrier: rogers

Did not work
New Contributor
My Device: PlayBook / Bold 9900

PlayBook uses the USB port a network port.  The communication with the computer is therefore by way of a network connection.  I had the same problem as you and solved it as follows (I am running Win7, 32 bit):

1.  Plug the PlayBook into the computer

2.  Go to Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network Connections

3.  If your computer has a LAN port, you should see 2 "Local Area Network Connections"

4.  Click on the one identified as "Research In Motion Network Device"

5.  Click on the "Properties" button at the bottom left corner of the dialog box

6.  Check the box "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)".  Once you do that, the other 2 boxes should be checked as well.

7.  Click the "OK" button

8.  Go to Window Explorer.  Under "Computer", you should now see "PlayBook [PIN: XXXXXXX]".  My computer mapped the PlayBook as my Z: drive.  You can now click on this item to see the folders on your Playbook.  Drag and drop files as you would with other drives / folders.

9.  Activate BB DeskTop Manager now.  It should say that you have just connected a new device.

Good luck!