Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: BLACKBERRY PLAYBOOK
My Carrier: NONE

Blackberry Playbook and WIFI. Very poor performance

Hello.

I have problems with WIFI connection in Playbook.

I connect near the access point, but if I´m over 1 meter of distance from access point, the wifi conection breaks.

I´ve tested with several access points:

- Cisco Access Point, with WPA2 Enterprise securtiy configuration.

- 3Com 7760 Acces Point wih several configurations:  Open, WPA/TKIP, WPA Personal/AES, WPA2 Personal/AES, etc.

- Zyxel router in my house.

With 802.1g and b. My access points don´t support "n" standard.

In these access points I´ve connected Blackbery 5250, Ipads, computers, etc, without problems.

When I´m near the access point, it runs OK.  But with more distance, the problems ocurr.

I´ve searching solutions in forums, I¨ve deleted stored configurations and crete them again, etc.

If battery in playbook is full of charge, distance to access point can be longer. With 60% of battery charge, problems ocurr.

In log of playbook, errors are: WLAN_AUTH_FAIL:UNRESPONSIVE_AP: [id=0].

The playbook is updated to last level: 2.1.0.1088.. This problem ocurrs since Playbook was new, it never has run correctly. I bought the device for test it for my company, and I didn´t buy any more.

I think that WIFI NIC in Blackberry Playbook is very bad, or there is a problem with the battery and connectivity hardware.

Please, could you help me?

Thanks.

Super Contributor
My Device: Playbook 32
My Carrier: 3

Re: Blackberry Playbook and WIFI. Very poor performance

I would say having tested on several 802.11g routers that there is a hardware faut. You should get 30 feet right down to 10% battery when it powers down.

________
New Contributor
My Device: BLACKBERRY PLAYBOOK
My Carrier: NONE

Hello, thanks for your response. 

But I`ve seen in forums that there are more people with the same problem. 

Is it posible that there are several WIFI nic hardware models?

Super Contributor
My Device: Playbook 32
My Carrier: 3

Josebenito wrote:

Hello, thanks for your response. 

But I`ve seen in forums that there are more people with the same problem. 

Is it posible that there are several WIFI nic hardware models?

There are many people on here that have problems connecting to wifi. I don't believe that means they have the same reason for the failure as you, i.e. you have done the obvious thing and tried other routers, and it is affected by battery voltage which is very unusual.

Most people who complain that they cannot connect to wifi usually solve it by either by (1) deleting the saved wifi connection from Playbook, or (2) by changing router settings from the predicated older settings to the more modern encryption settings for 802.11N.  By testing it out out on other 802.11G routers you have almost eliminated all the usual causes.

Add to that the change in range with battery voltage and it shouts out hardware problem.

If you can post links to people with the identical problem you describe then I will let you seek solutions there, meanwhile I still suggest your wifi card in the Playbook has a hardware problem. 

________