Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: David Silva
Accepted Solution

Blackberry Playbook duplicate files!!!

Well guys, sure I guess everyone who has a playbook, and some that do not have, should know that after updating the system to 2.0 appeared a mysterious Android folder on your hard drive that if we look deeply we perceive a certain duplication of files passed to the device so as to transfer photos taken by the camera, videos made ​​by the camera, and also realized that occurs with images generated pro applications such as those generated by the photo studio. Before telling you that you are not taking double space mean that I had the audacity to even test as follows: First I wrote down the free space on my device, after which an image held in my playbook.Logo then deleted the image of the device and noted that he had free space on my device. Then subtract the area of the image space final.Para my surprise was not the free space equal to what I had before deleting the image, on the contrary, lacked the exact image space, as if I had to do all over again for the subtraction image having twice. I would then say that really need a solution to this problem is ridiculous because I buy a device with 16GB of storage and can only use 8GB. Hugs!

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Blackberry Playbook duplicate files!!!

I have tried on 16 and 64 gig model and they do not take up space, they are virtual links to those files.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Solutions: 6,352
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Ditto. Just a virtual link.

David, you might want to remove your personal name from your profile under "My Mobile Provider".

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

beauty, then why when I delete this so-called "virtual link" the file from another folder also disappears?And because when I delete the file I release the space of two of the same file?

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

I have tested this extensively before and its only a virtual link and does not take up double the space.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor

personally, now I noticed another, when I install an application or jogo.O footprint is doubled, for example, I had 7.3 GB of space livre.então decided to install the game Dead Space which has 386Mb in size, so I should be on average 7.00 Gb or 6.9 Gb of free space, but instead I was left with 6.6 GB of space!! what explains this aberration?

Developer
My Device: Z30 / PlayBook 64GB
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile UK

"beauty, then why when I delete this so-called "virtual link" the file from another folder also disappears?And because when I delete the file I release the space of two of the same file?"

OK - that's exactly how a virtual link behaves. If you imagine driving into a town from two different directions, then you can visit the same house and shops - but you've just come from a different direction. Likewise, if a house is bulldozed - it will be gone no matter which direction you enter the town.

This has no bearing at all on app installs, and I'm going to take a look at what you've said now...

Follow me on Twitter1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Developer

Well roger me with an omnibus!

You're right about the apps - they are definitely using up around twice the space that they should be.

I've sent a tweet to @BlackBerryHelp asking about it - but I'm guessing that a copy of the original .bar file is kept on the PlayBook even though it's been extracted as well.

Interesting... But as I said - a completely different issue to the issue above about duplicate files, which is a single file taking up space just the once.

Follow me on Twitter1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
New Contributor

Hmm..I figured that i think another possiblity to be closer to truth than the supposerd for you.I guess it is the following.I download an installer appworld bar at 300mb for example,soon afer it starts to install,I imagine to be a similar process to install a program on your computer.He installs the app but not supposed to delete the installer?Another thing is that i noticed that according to the list os installed appworld i only 12 applications,and if you add standard applications of the system gives a twenty-something,but when i go into settings about,it says that i have 91 applications,what cold this be?Will MANY applications that have previously uninstalled were not actually deleted?

Davidguitar

cas118 wrote:
Well roger me with an omnibus!

You're right about the apps - they are definitely using up around twice the space that they should be.

I've sent a tweet to @BlackBerryHelp asking about it - but I'm guessing that a copy of the original .bar file is kept on the PlayBook even though it's been extracted as well.

Interesting... But as I said - a completely different issue to the issue above about duplicate files, which is a single file taking up space just the once.

Developer

Yes, the .bar is the installer package. When AppWorld does the 'installing' progress bar it is extracting the contents from that .bar file.

And when it's done it doesn't delete it. However, IT IS deleted when you remove the app.

The reason that it shows more apps that you actually have is because of the 'under the bonnet' apps that we don't see.

Anyway, I think that's the answer as to 'why' - but as for a solution, that's down to RIM.