Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: David Silva

Re: Blackberry Playbook duplicate files!!!

Really, the RIM have missed in this point....
Solutions: 6,352
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

What point has "the RIM" missed?
>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Regular Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

You downloaded a 300 MB highly compressed installer that unzips during installation and takes up 600 MB of hard drive space.  That's like basic computer 101.

I have never seen a single PC program that has a 300 MB installer file that unzips to the same 300 MB after installation --- and that's what your conspiracy theory is (because you are saying that RIM forgot to delete the original installer file). 

Developer
My Device: Z30 / PlayBook 64GB
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile UK

Well, I tested this - confirmed it and gave an explanation. Am I putting a conspiracy theory forward?

Bottom line is  that Dead Space takes around twice as much space as it should. I didn't say 'exactly' as there's no easy way to test this.

And since when have compressed files been anything other than around the same when using audio files and similar compressed media formats, which I can almost guarantee it is nearly choc-full of.

And there's no need to slap down the original poster because he might not be privvy the the inner workings of the PlayBook.

Sheesh!

Follow me on Twitter1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

I don't see anyone trying to slap the OP down. For one, I was just trying to get a clarification of his posted message. I know there is language barrier here, and if we don't ask, we don't know.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
Knowledge Base Updates
Developer

Wasn't a crack at you, JS - my point was that comments like "That's just basic computer 101" and calling the poster a conspiracy theorist wasn't actually helpful.

Conversely, I did actually put a like on your post yesterday because I agree - I don't see what 'point' they've missed either except for the fact that the app data source seems to be kept on the PlayBook after being extracted.

But we're digressing; apologies if anyone thought that I was having a dig at them.

Follow me on Twitter1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.

Gotcha, thanks, no problems. Smiley Happy

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: David Silva

I still think that if the source file data is kept, this is considered a failure of the RIM, because after installing the file starts to become useless. Another question I posted above and you have not answered me: I have only about 15 apps installed and I have about 27 applications on average if you count the original system, and hidden that appeared in the last update of the service it android (android camera gallery, android, android player, etc ... that can be seen through the advanced manager), but when I go to settings> about, he claims that I have 92 APPLICATIONS! How is this possible?

Developer

Again (as I did point this out already) - there are 'under the bonnet' apps that you can't see and do not have icons. If you wipe your PlayBook and start again, you will see that the icon count doesn't match the app count.

Also, failure is a strong word. It's an oversight, and nothing that affects the PlayBook functionality AT ALL.

And as I said, I did tweet RIM about the app space issue but haven't heard back. It's in their hands. If you really feel that strongly about it, then you can call BlackBerry Support and tell them yourself.

Finally, this topic has now split into 3 different issues from your original one. Every issue you've has been answered so can you please mark a solution from above (whether satisfactory or not) and create a new topic if you have any other issues.

davidguitar wrote:

but when I go to settings> about, he claims that I have 92 APPLICATIONS! How is this possible

...such as your Messaging application, it's counted as an application, but not one you've downloaded and installed from AppWorld.

Knowledge Base Updates