Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Blackberry os 2.1 for playbook!

I have done four updates so far on my PB and they have all worked flawlessly.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

obone wrote:
Hi Pateldds,

I'm using Mac. Sideloading with blackberry-deploy works fine for me.

Thanks, but do you have a link to a good how-to and the source of the blackberry-deploy software for mac. There must be something that has to be installed on the mac first that contains the blackberry-deploy command and I can't source it. Cheers.

My Device: BlackBerry 9790, BlackBerry PlayBook 64Gb, BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha
My Carrier: MTS

Hi jarviser,

The blackberry-deploy is a command-line utility for developers. It's present in both Windows and Linux NDK. DDPB (and similar software) uses it to communicate with PlayBook. As far as I know there is not such GUI frontend for Mac (like DDPB for Windows).

Are you still interested in how-to? Smiley Happy
Respectfully,
Oleg

Developer, QNX RTOS, BlackBerry 10 and PlayBook
Follow me on Twitter (in Russian)
St.Petersburg BlackBerry Dev. Group
Forums Veteran I

Yes please, and where to download the utility.  cheers. private message if you think it's off topic. 

jarviser wrote:

Yes please, and where to download the utility.  cheers. private message if you think it's off topic. 

Don't worry I just found an extension of Chrome browser that is as near a GUI as you can get

Install Chrome Browser  for Mac (OS X 10.5 or later, Intel only)

Install Extension "Playbook App Manager"

Download the converted Android app from Goodereader.com to Downloads folder

Hit the Install button and point to the downloaded app in Downloads.

Very easy. 

(Does it work in Chrome for Windoze? Maybe someone can try it)

My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

I has that Chrome extension working but last time I tried it didn't work right. I Found another app that would do it...LeechAPK or something like that. You need a Google market account and device ID# in order to download them. Once you download them they must be converted to work on the PlayBook. You need some developer tools to do that.

The best place is the GoodReader Playbook app store. They are already converted and you simply side load them. Not everything is available, though. Don't plan on relying heavily on sideloading. That said, I did get a few good ones from the Good Reader store and I converted a few myself.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Forums Veteran I

Worked first and second time for me. Times UK app amd Kindle for Amazon.

I already had a Kindle booklet on using OS X Lion but was unable to read it in the Playbook paid-for reader app without illegally unlocking the DRM.

I downloaded Amazon Kindle for Android from Goodereader, sideloaded it using the extension for Chrome. Went to the menu, clicked on Archive, lo and behold my book downoaded and I can read it with DRM still in place. 

If they do take that facility out in 2.1 I shall simply not download it.  I shall be keeping watch here!

I am using 2.1 and have sideloaded the Kindle app with no problems.

Forums Veteran I

John_Clark wrote:

Ace! :-)

My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

jarviser wrote:

John_Clark wrote:

Ace! :-)

x3

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code