Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: O2

Blackberry ripping UK users off in App World

Why have Blackberry changed all prices in App World to rip off UK users. Apps that used to be priced at $1 are now priced at £1.

The exchange rate is currently around the $1.55 to the £ mark so a $1 app should be no more than 59p plus VAT.

Blackberry seem to be constantly shooting themselves in the foot these days. Whilst Apple storm ahead with fair pricing, Blackberry insist on ripping its loyal users off.

Come on Blackberry. Explain why a $10 app is priced at £10 for UK users.

I have emailed numerous developers over this and they are as perplexed as me over your rip-off pricing.

Don't you understand that you are alienating your user base.

Apple already has 100 times more apps, and they are selling like hot cakes, so why on earth would you try and discourage sales by having pricing that is patently unfair?

Contributor
My Device: blackberry torch 9800
My Carrier: 02

Re: Blackberry ripping UK users off in App World

ell said m8ty

but then they need to cover the massive drop in price of the new playbook offers. ??

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z10 & Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

are you comparing the price to US or Canadian $.  Then you may be incorrect in your conversion.  Then you would be wrong

1.00 CAD = 0.626405 GBP

1 GBP = 1.59641 CAD

Be a Shepard and not an iSheep.
Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: O2

I'm comparing it to US$.

On a $1 app the unfair conversion rate of 1 to 1 isn't too bad, but if it is a $10 app then charging £10 is just plain wrong, when the real price should be £0.64 or £0.78 including the 20% VAT.

This seems to be only a recent issue that has happened over the last two weeks, but it is a mystery why Blackberry would want to penalize UK Blackberry users in such an obvious way.

I've e-mailed several app publishers about this issue and they felt it was wrong too.

Apple charge 59p +VAT for a $1 app, which is totally fair, so it is odd that Blackberry, whose App World is pretty much empty in comparison, should feel it can justify this currency rip-off.

I love my Blackberry Bold 9900 and my Playbook, and I rave about Blackberry to anyone who will listen, but this kind of behaviour leaves a sour taste in the mouth.