Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Optus

Bluetooth DUN Tether with Non-BB Smartphone Connection Problem

Hello,

I am having trouble connecting my BB Playbook to the internet via tethering through my Sony Ericsson X10 Mini Pro (Android 2.1). The program I use is PdaNet 3.0, and I select the Bluetooth DUN option (normally USB tethering if connected to my computer). 

The screen comes up connected on PdaNet (with no indication of any data usage occuring) but on the playbook it says, connecting, then quickly proceeds to authenticating, hangs on that for a while, then hangs for a long time on "Acquiring IP Address". After this it comes up with Failed to Connect (and the options for what should be checked).

After this it goes back to the default Internet Tethering menu and has my bluetooth device listed, but in fact says in the right hand column: "Connected(null:xx:xx)" (note that the x's are a continuous timer going up). 

PdaNet also says connected and if I click turn off PdaNet on the Sony Ericsson, the above right handed column stating connected etc, dissappears. 

So it appears to connect to the Sony Ericsson phone, yet hangs on acquiring an IP Address and Authenticating, probably failing to actually attain an IP Address.

Does anyone have a solution? The network is Optus (Australia) and does support tethering as demonstrated in use with my computer via usb.

Thanks.

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Bluetooth DUN Tether with Non-BB Smartphone Connection Problem

Hello craceus and welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

If your mobile network carrier does not support Bluetooth Dial-Up Networking, then the PlayBook will not be able to use this connection. 

You mentioned your mobile carrier does not support tethering. If that is the case, then this feature most likely won't work.

For more information on setting up Bluetooth Internet Tethering, have a look at KB26141

-HMthePirate

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

My Carrier: Optus

No I did say that I was able to tether my SE X10 Mini Pro with my laptop with PDANet 3.0, via usb and Bluetooth DUN. The playbook seems to hang when trying to establish an ip address.

Any help?

Thanks 

New Contributor
My Device: PlayBook

I have the same problem.  Tethering the PlayBook to a BlackBerry works fine, but tethering to a Motorola Atrix running PDANet over BlueTooth fails when it attempts to acquire an IP address.  Tethering the Atrix and PDANet to an iPad with iBluever works fine, as does tethering to a laptop.

Any hints?  I've tried rebooting the devices and repairing to no avail.

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Anyone have any ideas?

New Contributor

Bump
My Device: 9800
My Carrier: Telus

Hey Timmy,

I'm trying to tether an Atrix with PDANet and iBluever, can you tell me your settings for iBluever with Bell?  Do I need to set up a proxy in iBluever?  Also can you tell me if I need to set any settings on the Atrix?  Will the PDANet Demo version allow dial-up networking?  It says it will for a limited time but I'm not sure about that.  Thanks

My Device: 9800
My Carrier: Telus

bump

Visitor
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: verizon

[ Edited ]

bump

Deal on playbooks about to expoire.  need pdanet (or similar) to tether w/o going through provider.  Anyone make this work yet?

FWIW - carrier is verizon and phone is HTC Thunderbolt.  pdanet works fine for tethering that phone to Asus laptop using blutooth and / or USB..

Contributor
My Carrier: TMN

I don't have an Android so I can't try...

In Windows Mobile there was a great app called WM Wifi Router which allowed you to share your 3g connection with other devices via wifi. A quick search and I found a similar project for Android:

http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/

Reply if it works (I noticed this thread has been bumped many times by users with the same issue).