Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Thank you for visiting the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

BlackBerry will be closing the BlackBerry Support Community Forums Device Forums on April 1st (Developers, see below)

BlackBerry remains committed to providing excellent customer support to our customers. We are delighted to direct you to the CrackBerry Forums, a well-established and thorough support channel, for continued BlackBerry support. Please visit http://forums.crackberry.com or http://crackberry.com/ask. You can also continue to visit BlackBerry Support or the BlackBerry Knowledge Base for official support options available for your BlackBerry Smartphone.

"When we launched CrackBerry.com 10 years ago, we set out to make it a fun and useful destination where BlackBerry Smartphone owners could share their excitement and learn to unleash the full potential of their BlackBerry. A decade later, the CrackBerry community is as active and passionate as ever and I know our knowledgeable members and volunteers will be excited to welcome and assist more BlackBerry owners with their questions."

- Kevin Michaluk, Founder, CrackBerry.com

Developers, for more information about the BlackBerry Developer Community please review Join the Conversation on the BlackBerry Developer Community Forums found on Inside BlackBerry.

My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Bluetooth and Wifi No longer Works

Earlier today I was able connect my playbook to my home wifi network and blackberry tour through the bridge platform.  Now a few hours later and I can no longer get bluetooth enabled on my tablet and it is unable to pick up not only my personal wifi network but others as well.

Anyone have any adive what to do?  Three manually resets later and I still have the same problem.

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Bluetooth and Wifi No longer Works

I had a problem with the device recognising wi-fi networks when you move to a different location, but resolved that be performing a full restart - at which point the local wi-fi was found.

Are you sure wi-fi hasn't been disabled somehow from the Options page.

My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

In options, both the bluetooth settings and wifi settings are defaulted as disabled, but when I try to switch them on again the playbook operating system processes the switch unsuccesfully.

On another forum there are several reports that the problems occur after succesfully Briding but no one seems to be able to offer a solution.  Would prefer not to return this, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 Smartphone

[ Edited ]

Hello z3328,

What type of wireless Router are you using?

Have you tested a different Wi-Fi or Hot spot connecting?

Thank you.

-HB

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor
My Device: playbook and torch
My Carrier: at&t

I'm having the exact same problem. I talked to tech support for 3.5 hours today with no luck. The third person (Analyst) said they'd call me back tomorrow. Wish me luck! Without network connectivity the playbook loses its cool.

Contributor
My Device: storm2
My Carrier: telus

I am having a similar problem

Blue Tooth works, bridging to a Storm2 but wifi has stopped working. I can log on to my home network with the Storm2 but not with the PlayBook. PB shows as connected but cannot use browser.

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700, Playbook
My Carrier: Bell

[ Edited ]

Similar issues here as well. My bluetooth and wifi keeps on dropping, if I can even get them to connect at all! i just spent half a day trying to download the latest os update because it would not connect and maintain a wifi signal while attempting to download. And to set the record straight, I am an IT professional so please don't tell me to check my settings or reboot my router, I have tried every combination of settings possible.

After finally getting the update downloaded (version 1868) I can say that the issues have improved, but just marginally.  It still took several attempts to bridge my 9700 and the bluetooth connection is still sporadically turning off and thus disconnecting the bridge.  WPA2 wifi will not connect, and it took a couple of attempts to connect using WPA.  wifi with no security works better, even that was giving me grief pre-1868 update.  Once a WPA connection is established it seems more stable than the previous os version.

I am now trying to decide if I have a buggy unit with faulty bluetooth and wifi antennas or if this is a software issue...  Should I be requesting a new unit before my two week return policy expires??  I have seen other threads where people have claimed that their wifi issues were resolved by getting a new unit.  This makes me feel uneasy about keeping this one beyond the two week return period...

I love Blackberry and I love the look and feel of the Playbook, but this wifi/bluetooth issue is kinda ridiculous. I was prepared to not have lots of apps and native email or whatever but spending hours upon hours to attempt to get a simple wifi connection when I have full control of all of the router settings is totally unacceptable. I can't imagine trying to connect to a public hotspot.  All other devices connect no problem, including my Bold 9700.  With 1868 now installed I hope that my experience improves.

Given this issue I can't say that I'm at all impressed with this $800+ investment thus far. Is this indicative of a hardware or software issue and should I be looking to exchange this one for a new unit or bail altogether and get a refund until these major issues are resolved?  If a couple months from now, after my store return period has expired, will I be looked after by RIM if these issues persist?

New Contributor
My Device: playbook and torch
My Carrier: at&t

Tech support has me replace mine. Took it to the store and swapped it out. Since then no problems at all!

I'd say exchange yours ASAP!
Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700, Playbook
My Carrier: Bell

As a follow up to my previous post, now with OS version 1868 my wifi seems to be much more stable, currently running on WPA security.  I have not attempted WPA2 after reverting back to WPA.

My bluetooth connection on the other hand is still a bit wonky.  The playbook will attempt to bridge but more often than not fails and tells me that the bluetooth needs to be on, even though it was on prior to attempting to bridge.  When I attempt to bridge it would appear that the bluetooth antenna sometimes turns off and then back on thus interrupting the bridging process.  When i do eventually get it to connect it very frequently drops the connection when I attempt to utilize the bridge.  For example I will load up the messages app, I get to see my list of messages on the left side, but then when I select a message to view the bluetooth disconnects.  The same goes for BBM.