Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Visitor
My Device: Playbook 16GB
My Carrier: T -Mobile

Broken Playbook Screen

After dropping my playbook and breaking the screen. The unit was returned to Blackberry Repair company in Germany for repair. Not to go into great length and  waste anyone's time, they claim they could not repair it.

Beyond economical repair.

When received back, it was clear that the unit had not even been opened . Very disappointed.

I am sure I will not be the only person to damage the playbook in this way.

My friend went the Apple  IPad route, had the same problem, and it was replaced quickly without any fuss.

I have tried to talk with someone at Blackberry but its a waste of time as they state its Beyond repair as defined in the blackberry Playbook repair Service Terms and Conditions.

Other than an exchange unit at £399 they have left me to sort out myself.  This is one way of increasing sales of new playbooks

Can anyone in the UK advise of a repair company that can fit new screens. 

Love my playbook but I am very disappointed at the blackberry answer. German Computer repairer says NO. Buy another one.

Forums Advisor III
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

Re: Broken Playbook Screen

When a device such as a monitor or a tablet comes in to a service center and it has a cracked or broken screen, it is very obvious that the screen will have to be fully replaced without the need to open the unit. On the back plane of the screen there is an embeded circuit board that is an intergal part of the screen. This makes the cost even more expensive for replacement than the costly screen itself. The screen section alone is the most expensive part in any monitor or tablet.

With some models of monitors the screen itself is more than 70% of the total cost of the monitor during the manufacturing process. If the part has to be imported as a spare part, and when including the corporate cost of handling, transport, and etc, the screen cost could easily exceed the value of the device. Then on top of that there is the labor cost to pay someone to replace it.

When a device is dropped or abused, the fault cannot lie on the manufacture or their service rep. This is not a normal defect that should be covered by warranty. Some manufactures carry an added insurance policy that will cover for accidental breakage of their product. If you are conserned about the warranty policy for anything you buy, it would be best to review it before making your purchase.

Some years ago, I worked for a company that was making warranty service for a number of different television set manufactures. There were a few very high end expensive models where the warranty was almost unconditional. If the TV was accidently damaged the customer would get a new set. For the lower cost models this was not an option. When sets came in after their warranty was finished most of the time they did not pay to service.

Jerry G.

Jerry G.
My Device: Blackberry 9700, Playbook
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Nope, you can buy new screens for $50-70: http://www.sw-box.com/Digitizer-Touch-Screen-For-BlackBerry-Playbook.html

It's pretty lame that a consumer can obtain and do a screen replacement themselves for under $70, but apparently you can't have the manufacturer do it at all?

Regular Contributor
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: internet

not to defend this stupid company, but it is 6 months later.
Forums Advisor III

I believe I read the PB base warranty for all parts and assembly, as like the phones is for a 1 year period from the date of purchase; providing the user did not abuse the device.

The mobile service provider I am using sells extended service insurance contracts for the devices they sell. I took a three year contract for each of our devices we are using. For a three year period, they also cover for loss, and physical damge for two times.

Jerry G.
Jerry G.
Forums Advisor III

I would't be surprised if these screens and parts are from returned defective units there not serviceable and went to a foreign sub-contractor for disposal. They unassemble, clean up, and re-package and sell the parts as replacements.

The other way the sub-contractors get parts is they buy up ends of assembly runs, or the over stock from the assemblers. They re-package the parts for re-sell.

Going back some years ago, the parts manufactures were selling new parts as spares, or were manufacturing spare parts for devices with permission from the original company devices. This was when there was a large electronics service industry for consumor devices.

These parts that come from independent sellers are called "jobber" parts in the electronics industry. There is no guarantee of what their quality will be like. Most of these types of parts are untested. They buyer takes his chances with them. Most of the time they work okay.

I worked for many years in the high end communications and consumer service industry. I had a lot of experience in using jobber parts, when originals were not available.

Jerry G.

Jerry G.
Regular Contributor
My Carrier: i am carrying it duh! ;)

I would have a go at fixing it myself if i was you, first you need to know if the screen is really broken or if it is just the digitizer.

I changed a digitizer on a htc desire phone not so long ago,it was not too difficult, this PB is a bit bigger but less fiddly looking at this teardown. http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/BlackBerry-PlayBook-Teardown/5265/1

New Contributor
My Carrier: three

I had a similar problem with my playbook. I was carrying it down my garden steps when I dropped it and broke the screen, Sent it to blackberry for repair and the told me the same. They cannot repair it and id have to buy a new on at the price of £250.

My playbook was only 3 months old and still had 9 months of warranty left on it.

Anyway I got the playbook back and thought I would try and repair it myself, I got the back of but didn't like the look of all them cables so I stopped.

I then did a Google search for "playbook screen repair" and found a company called mobilepartshop. I gave them a ring and they said they can repair it. (happy days) I ordered and payed on their site and sent my playbook in expecting to get it back in a week. 48hrs later I get my playbook back (fixed yay).

Props to the guys at mobilepartshop, rim should really have a service like apple.

Anyway just thought id put my experience across.

Forums Advisor III

These independent service places use aftermarket parts or parts from other used devices. The screen is an integral part of the tablet. It contains the main operational systems of the tablet. 

If your PB is the WiFi only version these can be bought very cheap now. The 4G version is expensive. When you get the PB serviced you should consider an Otter Box case for it. It offers terrific protection. I have all my devices in this case type. 

Jerry G 

Jerry G.
Forums Advisor III

Re: Broken Playbook Screen _

These independent service places use aftermarket parts or parts from other used devices. The screen is an integral part of the tablet. It contains the main operational systems of the tablet. 

If your PB is the WiFi only version these can be bought very cheap now. The 4G version is expensive. When you get the PB serviced you should consider an Otter Box case for it. It offers terrific protection. I have all my devices in this case type. 

Jerry G 

Jerry G.