Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
My Device: Curve 8530 / Playbook 64GB
My Carrier: Telus

Browser closing by itself bug

the browser closes by itself sometimes(not always) when i minimize out of it and go into another app or when i close another app. very annoying bug because i lose all my tabs that were open Smiley Sad , anyone else experience this? i hope RIM reads these forums.

Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Browser closing by itself bug

Hey, I have not experienced that... haven't seen others with that issue either.

Are you on the Bridge browser or via WiFi?

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

this happens on the wi-fi main playbook browser, have not experienced it on the bridge browser thus far

Contributor

ahh it just did it again when i loaded up NFS and i was minimized while waiting for it to load, i saw the browser pane close itself Smiley Sad 

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700 and Playbook 64 Gb
My Carrier: Rogers

It just happened to me too as I loaded these forums.  I hit the bookmark for this site and when I started to scroll down, the browser closed.  Using wi-fi, 64 Gb Playbook, OS version 1710, nothing else running at the time.

For what it's worth, I love my Playbook.  My posts here aren't complaints, but rather details about possible bugs.

Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: No Carrier

I am not 100% on this but I believe it has to do with the QNX OS on the Playbook sensing that you are running low on RAM...when it does this it will close applications...

I have heard that the browser can use up lots of RAM...Do you have multiple browser tabs open, or do you have multiple applications running?

I noticed this happened to me when I tried to launch an application...it would launch but then the Playbook would immediatly shut it down....was not sure what was happening...at first I thought it was a bad download...but then I realized I had to much open....and when I shut down some apps the other app would now run....

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700 and Playbook 64 Gb
My Carrier: Rogers

That could be it, although when it happened to me this was the only page I had open and the browser was the only running app.

I just ran through the same steps I did when it closed and made note of the free memory.  Of course, it didn't close this time.

No apps running - 463.5 Mb free memory.

Opened browser to home page (www.google.ca) - 414.6 Mb free.

Opened another website and did a search (personal site, plain html) - 375.6 Mb free.

Opened forum site in same tab - 354.6 Mb free.

Started typing this message - 330 Mb free.

Just before hitting post, I have 320.6 Mb free.

Contributor

i was thinking the same thing michaelwhyte, i do tend to have lots of tabs and apps open. if this is the case i really wish they'd prompt/ask what to close before closing it by themself.

and yes im not complaining i love my playbook, just wanna help out to get rid of all the bugs/issues or suggestions to make it even better Smiley Happy
New Contributor
My Device: Pearl and Playbook
My Carrier: AT&T

Got my Playbook last Thursday. Browser is closing on its own just as you report. I don't remember it happening when I first got it. Applied update1.0.1.1710 Saturday.

Developer
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: Bell Mobility

The browser is a bit of a memory hog right now... it will shut down if you open too many tabs (less if the pages are complex).  I'm sure they are furiously working on memory management for it right now but I limit myself to 5 tabs if I'm running anything at all.

Best regards,

Brent

If you found my post helpful, please thank me with a Kudo. Thanks!