Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

My Device: Playbook 64GB
My Carrier: O2

Buffering

My Playbook keeps “Buffering” when trying to watch BBC iPlayer over Wifi. It does it all the time and I can’t watch anything for it “Buffering” every 2-3mins. When this happens it will either stop altogether or carry on randomly. Whether I am next to the router or not the result is the same. I have also deleted alot of files in order to free up memory but this doesn’t help.

It doesn’t happen if I am watching something on YouTube on the Playbook and what also concerns me the most is that this “Buffering” doesn’t happen at all on my Blackberry Z10 for either the BBC iPlayer or YouTube

Highlighted
Forums Veteran I
My Device: PlayBook 32 & 64 GB & Torch 9860, Z30
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

Re: Buffering

I would suspect you have a slow internet connection at times. Scan the Internet for a program that can rest the speed of your Internet connection. Write the results of the test on paper and track it for a few weeks.
Trusted Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Playbook
My Carrier: WiFi only (well, I do have a cheap Nokia with 7/11 SpeakOut)

Unless you have an internet conmnection that is fast (no "lite" service will work well for streaming video) and a solid WiFi connection, the flash player won't be able to keep up with the video stream, and hence the buffering.

You can try pausing now and again to allow the stream to buffer ahead a bit, but at best you'll only get a couple of minutes of good viewing before the player starts buffering again.

You can test this out by going to a YouTube video with a selection of several levels of definition (running from 240p to 720p or better).  If you select a higher definition, you are likely to experience buffering.  You can select a lower and lower definition until you get one where there is no buffering.  Mine sits at 240p on my home "lite" connection unless watching old black and white movies or colour shows with a 4:3 ratio in which case I can go up to 480p.  Yours may be faster and may top out before 720p.  I mention 720p because most television sites broadcast over the web in at least that definition level if not higher.

PlayBook 64GB and 32 GB
Regular Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900, Playbook
My Carrier: O2 (UK)

I have exactly.the same problem and can tell you that the blame rests 100% on the shoulders of the PlayBook.  I have a 60Mb speed which my laptop and iPad stream effortlessly using the same wifi connection.  PlayBook great when I want basic business functions and Web browsing but for multimedia, forget it!

Forums Veteran I
My Device: PlayBook 32 & 64 GB & Torch 9860, Z30
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

I have no problem with multimedia, streams without a hitch.
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Look at my tips on wifi

Speed-up-BlackBerry-Wi-Fi-connections-a-knottyrope-tip

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V