Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Calibre now has a driver for Blackberry Playbook

Are you trying to find the books with the Kobo Reader app?  If so, Kobo Reader only seems to recognize the files (books) it has imported - at least as far as I have determined.  My solution was to load an app (Book Reader - see my post above) that works reasonably well.  Adding the books to it's library is quite straightforward.  You can load multiple books from a single author at a time, but otherwise must be loaded author by author.  (Calibre saves them in folders by author.)

Note that during installation, the app will ask if you want to allow it to create it's own copy internally to speed up loading and reading.  If you answered 'yes' to that question, you now have two copies of the book in the PB.  I delete the original copy (the one installed by Calibre) after loading into the app to save PB memory.  The disadvantage is that Calibre no longer sees it installed on the PB and won't update it (if you have chosen that setting).  This is no big deal if you don't mind deleting the book from Book Reader and installing a new copy if you update it.  This means that you will want to make any changes to the metadata (eg add cover art) before transferring it to the PB.

Does this help?

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: None

Thanks for that, I've loaded the "Book Reader" but am finding it a long process to load books, when you have over 2,000 books. Think I might stick to my KOBO device for reading. I really thought the PB would be easier than taking 2 devices with me everywhere. Smiley Sad
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry playbook
My Carrier: bell

Why would you want to take 2000 books with you when you travel? My suggestion is to download a reasonable selection to the playbook and leave the kobo for reading at home.
New Contributor

It is tedious importing a lot of books at any given time.  Note that you can import multiple books from the same author at one time - a slight time saver.  I can do 10 or 15 books in 10 minutes or so - importing into Calibre and then to the PB, deleting the duplicate files etc.  Once you develop a rhythm it goes quickly.  Beyond that, I can't offer any suggestions.  Take care.

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: n/a

[ Edited ]

Hey!

I have found a solution that will be able to read epub files like the kobo app.

Step1: You will need to learn to sideload Android apps to your BB Playbook

Tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHDrmAtaUY0

Step 2: Download this app: http://goodereader.com/apps/android-apps/e-reader-apps/?did=6

Step 3: Sideload your app onto the BB Playbook

Step 4: Open up BB Desktop Manager and navagate to misc\ andrioid\

Step 5: Create a folder eBooks\import (as in create a folder eBooks and create another folder "import" inside)

Step 6: Drag your epub files into the "import" and your done

I hope you enjoy and if you have any questions just reply cause I'm a newbie on this site, so ya.

Contributor
My Device: curve 9800

Hi, thanks for the info.  I am TOTALLY new to all of this.  I don't know how to get the plug in you speak of.  Is it possible for you to instruct me.  I have loaded books from demanoid.me to calibre over 4 weeks ago, work at this daily and can read the books on my pc but it all stops there.....Many thanks in advance for any help.

New Contributor

Which step or plug-In are you having trouble with?  Getting books from Calibre to the BB?  Have you loaded the app "Book Reader" from the Blackberry App World or are you using something else?

Contributor

Thanks for the prompt response.   Yes, I have the 99 cent book reader app installed....books in calibre.....and that is it, as I don't know how to make it work.

New Contributor

First make sure your BB is connected and the computer sees it.  ie BB desktop is ready to sync,not showing disconnected.  Next, open Windows Explorer and ensure you can see the BB there.  (It will show as drive Z orY or another letter and will include the PIN #).  If you expand that drive, you will see a folder called "books" - that is where you will be pointing Calibre to.

Next, go to Calibre and click on the "Connect/Share" icon on the top and choose "Connect to folder".  Point to the directory I mentioned above - likely Blackberry Z:/books.  If it connects correctly, you will now have a new icon in Calibre called "Send to device" in the top row, fifth from the left.

In Calibre, select the books you want to send to the BB - you can choose quite a few but my girlfriend has found that it hangs when sending a large number to her Kobo at once.  I've sent up to 40 to my BB without a problem.  Now click on the "Send to device icon" and it should start sending the files - it may take a minute or two if sending a large number.  Check to ensure it is working by looking at the bottom right corner in Calibre where it says Jobs: X (where X is a number) and see if the little icon beside that shows a turning wheel.  If it is, you're on your way.  Once they are loaded onto the device, you will see a green check mark under "On Device" (left by the book # assigned)

In Book Reader on the BB, select the Add Books icon in the top left corner.  In the next screen, choose books and you should see a list of directories with Authors names.  Just select one folder and you should see one or more books by that author - select them (you can choose them all by selecting the folder name at the top of the list) and then touch the icon in the top right corner.  It will ask for confirmation and then start working.  Again, depending on the number of books and file size it can take a minute or two.  If you go back to the main page you should then see all your books listed.  If this works, follow the same steps for the other authors.  Once you get used to it, you can just do one auther after another without checking.

Be sure to read my post above about the duplicate file locations and delete the extra file to save space.  Hope this helps.  Don't hesitate to ask any more questions.

Contributor

Thank you ever so much for your time and effort.....much appreciated.....I will try this, thanks again.