Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: wifi

Can not register or login with the blackberry ID on the new playbook

Hi!

I got a new playbook and have problem completing the initial registration process.

I have set up the WiFI properly. After this it ask for the Blackberry ID.

When I try to register a blackberry ID I can not submit the form i get the message "Unknown server error (-6)".
I get the same error when I try to login with an existing  blackberry ID.

What is strange is that if I register a blackberry ID via my PC and then I click on the "forgot password link" from inside the blackberry I actually get the reset password e-mail in my mailbox (this indicates that my WIFI is set up correctly I think".

We got the blackbok in Sweden, but I am currently sitting in Nepal where our company has it's development branch. Can there be some kind of restriction that this tablet is not allowed outside of Europe??

Best regards
Björn Söderberg

WebSearch

Trusted Contributor
My Carrier: None

Re: Can not register or login with the blackberry ID on the new playbook

You may have wi-fi set up correctly on your PC, but not on the playbook. Check this KB article, please:

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB26582
New Contributor

The wifi seems correctly set up according to that guide. And sine the "Forgot password" function is working I must have connection to the internet.

Trusted Contributor
My Carrier: None

In that case, I would suspect t2o things can be happening. Either

a) The branch where you are right now has some IT policy related to the wireless connection that is stopping the playbook to connect itself to the web or

b) There's something in the router's configuration that may clash with what the playbook expects. For example, if the SSID has non-printable ascii characters, in it's name, then the playbook can't connect to it.

You can find below a couple of KB articles that may help you. I would also suggest you talk with the IT department of that branch.

Unable to connect to a Wi-Fi access point that contains non-printable ASCII characters -
http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB26669

Troubleshooting Wi-Fi and networking on the BlackBerry PlayBook -
http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB26096

On a semi-related note, what OS version does your playbook have? You can check it by pressing on the gear icon (top right corner of the home screen), then About Tab, and Os Version will be displayed on the right.
Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: N/A

You could also check this forum post, which I found to have solved one incident so far...

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-PlayBook/Massive-Wi-Fi-issues-SO-GUTTED/td-p/10634...

New Contributor

No, this did not help. I want to clarify one thing:

THE WIFI WORKS!
I CAN WITHOUT PROBLEMS USE THE RESET PASSWORD FUNCTION. It asks for my security question and if correct e-mails me the password. If i try inputing wrong wifi info then this also stops workign.

I have tried on 3 seperate networks and get the same problem.

I could not find the gear icon you are refering to. the only screens I can see are:

1. Welcome

2. Connect to wifi

3. Date & time

4. Limited warranty

5. Blackberry ID.

I can not proceed after the Blackberry ID screen.

Hoping for more help

/Björn Söderberg

Contributor
My Device: none
My Carrier: none

[ Edited ]

Hi

is this initial setup process your first time ever using your PlayBook or have you used it before either while in Sweden or through your pc using Desktop Software? Because there has been a discussion in this foum on that particular error message: http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-PlayBook/Unknown-server-error-6-Help-me-please/td-...

Basically the issue seems to come up when you do a partial instalation of the PlayBook's software BEFORE setting your BlacBerry ID like you are trying. The solution found to some of the users was to use Desktop Software to fully upgrade the PlayBook software and set up the BBID after.

The steps are as follows:

1.Turn off your PlayBook;

2.Open Desktop Manager on your pc;

3.Connect the PlayBook to the pc via USB;

4.If the PlayBook automatically starts up turn it off immediately. This should prompt an error message from Desktop Manager saying you should upgrade the PlayBook's software. If this happens, accept the offer and upgrade the PlayBook to the lattest version.

5. Unplug the PlayBook, turn it on and go through the initial setup process. This time your BBID should be accepted without any problem and instead of the usual software upgrade you should be directed to the home screen.

It is mentioned that the upgrade via USB takes some time and that the error message might not appear at first. If it doesn't, keep trying the same steps until it does or try connecting to different USB ports.

Good luck.