10-04-2012 11:04 PM
I have updated bridge, and rebooted playbook and torch several times, but once I connect bridge and access sms, it first loads fine then my contact list goes up to 2700 from 1500 or so contacts that I have and the current text messages that are open/saves come up with the contact name "F. MOTA ()". For all of them and the text messages are all mixed up, what I responded to one person few days ago is mixed in with other people that I talked to today, it's really messed up, anyone else getting anything like this?
My next step I will try removing bridge from bb torch and re install see if that will fix it.
10-04-2012 11:32 PM
It's working fine with me....I believe there different types of Bridge uploads available...You may like to go through them and find out which is the right one for you....
10-04-2012 11:49 PM
Similar weirdness with my new text messaging feature - all threads from my Torch are combined into one thread on the Playbook and listed as from one non-related contact. (who does not even have a phone number in my address book)
Then that combined thread of texts shows up five times. Deleting all threads from the PB only results in the same thing happening again next time I open txt feature on the PB. Have updated bridge on Torch, rebooted both devices several times. Torch shows 360 contacts, Txt app on PB shows 324. Just deleted all threads on the Torch, and changed txt settings on phone from "automatic" to "SMS" to see if that has any effect when the next SMS arrives....
10-05-2012 04:59 PM
Finally got to the bottom (I hope!) of the SMS name mismatch after upgrading to 2.1.
It seems that if when the app searches for the contact record that matches the phone number it stops when it finds a non-valid phone number format and dumps the corresponding name into the display. The non-valid data was in my case was caused in two ways:
Well this worked for me - I now plan to finish the Bushmills and get a life!!
10-05-2012 05:06 PM
10-05-2012 06:18 PM - edited 10-05-2012 06:39 PM
I agree, WOW. I believe you deserve many bushmills! Thanks, that gives me a place to start poking around to try to fix my similar issues.
I had a look at the mismatched contacts (all texts showed up on PB as coming from1 of 2 contacts), in both cases, the contact on my torch had an invalid character in the mobile number field. In both cases, the field contained only one character.(a hyphen in one, and a period in the other) Don't know how they got there, but I removed them and now texts are correctly linked to the proper contacts. Again, excellent diagnostic work, thanks!
10-09-2012 04:52 AM
10-09-2012 10:13 AM
Thanks guys for all your great feedback! After removing and reinstalling OS 2.1 (2 hrs for that on high-speed WI-FI connection, countless calls to BB, etc), I reset the PB and the bridge on my 9810 but alas...the problem still existed! In the end, I just deleted the contact that kept interferring with my text messages and that fixed the problem. BB told me that a patch will most likely be issued since there have been many complaints regarding this problem form other people.