Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, PlayBook, 9900
My Carrier: Telus

Can't connect PlayBook to *my* WPA2 wifi (D-Link Wireless N Router) - very frustrated

I'm gettting massively frustrated with this and would appreciate any assistance.

OK, so to start I'm a developer and I've managed to use my PlayBook for months, connecting to various WiFi networks without issue... except at home.

I have actually connected to it 100's of times, but the connection is flakey and often it fails to connect because it can't get an IP Address (my router is set to offer up 100's of them by DHCP... ONLY my PlayBook has issues getting one)

I have thus far had no issue connecting the following devices to my router:

Laptops (5 different brands/models),

iPad,

iPod (4 different devices)

Blackberry phones (3 different models)

iPhone (2 different models)

but the PlayBook always seems to have issues...

I've tried connecting using the "sync" WPS feature both by pressing the button on the router, as well as entering a PIN on the router config page - no luck.

I've tried entering the correct password multiple times - no luck... it always fails to get an IP Address.

I've even pre-assigned a dedicated IP Address to the MAC Address of the PlayBook... (all my other devices skip it) yet the PlayBook won't take it.

The router is a D-Link DIR-615 H/W /ver C1, Firmware ver 3.13NA Wireless N.

Its entirely possible that I've goofed something up, and I'm willing to try anything to resolve it - however if anyone else is having similar issues please chime in... and for anyone at RIM with 5min free... a quick "paranoia" once over look at the connecting / IP gathering code in this area would be greatly appreciated... in case there's an odd "off by 1" error of some kind in this area.

Finally, I'm not sure if there is any more info to provide when the PlayBook does fail to get an IP... but if there is an error message or log that us users can look at (or get in an OS update) it would be helpful in trying to diagnose why the connection fails.

Thanks for any advice,

Steve

PlayBook Apps: DataMine, Dots + Boxes, 5 Marbles
BlackBerry SmartPhone Apps: 5 Marbles Soon: **** (D.Z.A), ****Quest, **** Challenge, VaultCracker, DevBrowser, Radial****
Developer

Re: Can't connect PlayBook to *my* WPA2 wifi (D-Link Wireless N Router) - very frustrated

Oh I should add for the record, that there is a typo in the UI regarding failed connection attempts too: The display shows "This configuration has been disabled. Unable to aquired an IP address..." aquired should be "aquire"

BlackBerry SmartPhone Apps: 5 Marbles Soon: **** (D.Z.A), ****Quest, **** Challenge, VaultCracker, DevBrowser, Radial****
Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z10 & Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Re: Can't connect PlayBook to *my* WPA2 wifi (D-Link Wireless N Router) - very frustrated

a shot in thed ark. But setup the pb manually. unselect the automatic ip address and put a ip according to your network protocal ie 192.161.1.65 and a correct subnet and dns server.
hope this helps.
Be a Shepard and not an iSheep.
Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

Try this for more diagnostics:

• swipe down from top-right for settings
  • tap "Wifi"
  • tap the button with the question mark
  • tap "Copy logs"

This will show detailed info and - if you scroll down - a log of what has been happening. It will be in your clipboard too, so you can paste it into a text file.

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Iusacell

I was having the same issue until yesterday.

After spending a couple of nights dealing with BB Support techs, I came up with this steps and worked for me, even though that Playbook should connect automatically as other devices do. Moreover, of course I am not going to ask everyday the IT guys for a modem reset

Here it goes :

1- If you own a lap top/pc connected to your work Wifi network, open the network adapter window on the PC. Go to wifi adapter and left-click on properties in order to display detailed connection status.

2- From there you may obtain a valid subnet mask, Default Gateway, Primary DNS and Secondary DNS.

3- Since the IP Address was already obtained by your Playbook while trying to connect, it will be asking for the same IP each time, so write down the Playbook  IP too. You can access it from the wifi? Icon on the wifi configuration script on the playbook.

(The issue here was that for some reason, my Playbook on "auto IP mode" was choosing a different default gateway number than the correct one. I still can't figure why, but I'm not going to invest more time on it, until a new software update becomes available and go from there.)

4- In your playbook tap the wifi icon and go to saved networks, tap on edit (pencil) and delete your office previous connection.

5- Create manually  a new wifi connection and unselect "auto IP mode". You will have the opportunity to copy all the information mentioned above. IP, Subnet Mask, Primary DNS. Secondary DNS and Default Gateway.

6- Tap save and connect.

Hopefully you Playbook will be online and ready to navigate.

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

FINALLY! Thank you! I did what you said and finally it looks like all my devices seem to connect now with no problems. Let's hope this continues. I was so sick of rebooting the router to get the msg to disappear and the connection to work.

Highlighted
My Device: Playbook

I had a similar problem with two different playbooks this week on two different WPA2 Personal networks. In both cases the problem was resolved by editing a saved wifi connection and selecting "SAVE AND CONNECT" It would seem the save button for a new wifi connection is not as effective as the save and connect found in an existing connection. Now if I could only get a Bluetooth tether to my iPhone working I would be a happy BB owner.
Developer

Mashie for the iPhone tether it should work fine... But you need to turn on hot spot on your phone... And set your PlayBook's "Internet tethering" setting to on.

Contributor
My Device: playbook and tourch
My Carrier: orange

Problems occur with WEP and WPA2 then. My network was WEP and it no longer connects automatically. I have had to assign a manual IP address. It seems to connect if the network is open but I don't want to leave it open. There is definately an issue with the DHCP driver on the Playbook. This has never been a problem on my BB phone. It seems like they forgot all the stuff they had learned from their phones when doing the Playbook !

Developer

I'm starting to feel it is more an issue with this exact router (brand/model/software)...

I have about 10 different devices now that connect wirelessly to it... and all seem to have issues at some point gaining an IP address form the DHCP on the router.

Rebooting the router seems to fix it every single time... thus I'm actually really starting to lean on the router as being the cause of the issue.  I have not had issues connecting to other wireless networks all over the place both open and secured...