Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Cannot WIFI file share to MAC with the Playbook!!!!!!!!!!!!

[ Edited ]

Hey Blackberry users out there, 

I need help with this wifi deal.  I got a mac and need to transfer files through wifi, the connector for the mini USB recently broke and I need to get files off the playbook before I send it out for repair.  I have always had a little trouble connecting the mac with the usb cord.  I have contacted Apple as well as Rim support and neither could help me with this matter.  I am wondering if I may just have a setting checked off wrong. This is where I have got to up to this point.

I go to Finder----Go---Connect to server. 

I then punch in my playbook id name and ip located under playbook network properties.

I then sign in as guest and a window pops up with CERT and MEDIA icons.

Once checking on the media a message pops up "cannot mount volume "media".

This is as far as I can get to.  If anyone has had this issue and may know a way to allow the Mac to "mount" the volume, I would appreciate your input.

I have the Mac OS X 10.5.8 and current update.

Thank you for your response,

Gregory ss

Contributor
My Device: 9900, 9790, 9700, 9800, 9810 & DevAlpha B & Playbook
My Carrier: Orange UK

Re: Cannot WIFI file share to MAC with the Playbook!!!!!!!!!!!!

dont login as guest, on your playbook go network, storage and sharing then network identification then type a name in, then set a password for wifi sharing. when the dialog box in mac pops up hit registered user and type in the name and password. that should work then! hope that has sorted it!
Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z10 & Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I use Dev mode in security-enable that then locate the play book by IP address. Never had a problem locating the BP that way.
Be a Shepard and not an iSheep.
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Hey thanks for the response.  I have tried both of these recommendations and yet I'm coming up empty with the message, The volume “media” could not be mounted.  I am unsure as to how this would be mounted perhaps there is a setting on the mac to enable mountin

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: 9900, 9790, 9700, 9800, 9810 & DevAlpha B & Playbook
My Carrier: Orange UK

mounting in osx is a carry over from it being a unix based OS, in easy terms mounting is the act of allowing access to an external device, when you plug in a usb stick it mounts it and appears on the desktop so you can browse it. i have both lion and 10.6.8 and both work fine with my playbook, the other thing i would recommend is installing bb desktop manager for mac (or update it) as this may help with mounting as im pretty sure it adds some drivers (kexts) for various bb related things...
Contributor
My Device: Playbook and BB Bold 9700
My Carrier: Rogers

I've got the same error type and problems with My Windows 7 PC too. the only way I can attach is with an explicit drive map to the IP of the playbook. This is with/without desktop manager

\\192.168.1.xxx\media

I think you just map through the finder....
Contributor
My Device: Q10, 9900, Playbook
My Carrier: AT&T

Just an alternate route... Rather than using Finder, there is a simple and free version of Box.net that I use to share files between my MacBook and Playbook. 

The Box app is free in BB AppWorld, and the corresponding Box SimpleShare app is free in the Mac App Store. 

Contributor
My Device: Playbook and BB Bold 9700
My Carrier: Rogers

excellent idea!

...of course this is all to bypass a function that *should* be working...