Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700 and Playbook
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Cannot open .docx, xlsx etc.. On Playbook only.

[ Edited ]

Process described is what several of the support tech folks tried to walk me through however it didn't work because for some reason, I wasn't able to save the unchecked email addresses in the MAP Options after doing all that so we quit going down that road. After in the MAP Options menu and unchecking the addresses, you can uncheck everything and it seemed to accept the Save but you couldn't get out of the menu without selecting Discard and nothing actually gets saved. So, at least for me, this doesn't work.

I actually had one of the techs get mad at me because when I said it won't save, she thought I was being stubborn and refusing to save it. Actually spent a few minutes arguing that point. Ticked me off a bit that someone would even think that. She must have kids who refuse to do things that she asks. Other techs just expressed surprise that it wouldn't save and seemed to give up.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: BLACKBERRY PLAYBOOK
My Carrier: ICE

[ Edited ]

That's odd... When this happened to me, I also called support and on the MAP options part, I unchecked the options and clicked the menu, clicked close and got a pop up with save, discard and cancel.  That is certainly odd... But I believe you.

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700 and Playbook
My Carrier: AT&T

Just curious, are you using OS 5 or 6 on your phone? I'm using 6.
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900 / PlayBook 64gb
My Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Can I give you a 1/2 Kudos?

On my 9700 I could not change the interaction permission to Custom. The only choices I have are allow and deny.

When I went to the BlueTooth options I wasn't able to save after I unchecked all of my email addresses.

I did however delete the connection on my 9700 and PlayBook and after reestablishing the connection it worked. I am now able to open the .xlsx attachment.

New York Yankees
It's Hard To Be Humble
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: T-Mobile

I found a VERY simple solution.  Rename the file extension from .docx to .doc.  You will be able to view it with no problem.  The same should hold for .xlsx though I have not tried this yet.

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: T-Mobile

I found a VERY simple solution.  Rename the file extension from .docx to .doc.  You will be able to view it with no problem.  The same should hold for .xlsx though I have not tried this yet.

j--
New Contributor
My Device: 9650
My Carrier: sprint

I still can't open some docx files.  Says unsupported.  Sorry didn't help at all--but it's old so maybe why.

Highlighted
Visitor
My Device: 8530 curve
My Carrier: MTS

Try this...

When you recieve a .xlsx file

1. On your blackberry phone  (NOT on the playbook). ..hover over or highlight the attached .xlsx document in your email.

2.  click the blackberry logo key

3.  It says "open attchment".  Do Not Select this!!!

4.  Scroll one option down..."Open Attachment on Playbook".   Select This!!!

Your .xlsx document suddely opens on the playbook....with your phone working as a remote mouse.

Hope this works for you too.   

(many beers ended their lives as i tried to figure this out....battling late into the night.   a moment of silence is well deserved to the lost soldiers (beer cans) that i mowed down from BUD nation figuring this out.   Honestly!!!!  I'm just a potatoe farmer.   These things should work automatically...or someone smarter then me should be providing a Solution)