Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Thank you for visiting the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

BlackBerry will be closing the BlackBerry Support Community Forums Device Forums on April 1st (Developers, see below)

BlackBerry remains committed to providing excellent customer support to our customers. We are delighted to direct you to the CrackBerry Forums, a well-established and thorough support channel, for continued BlackBerry support. Please visit http://forums.crackberry.com or http://crackberry.com/ask. You can also continue to visit BlackBerry Support or the BlackBerry Knowledge Base for official support options available for your BlackBerry Smartphone.

"When we launched CrackBerry.com 10 years ago, we set out to make it a fun and useful destination where BlackBerry Smartphone owners could share their excitement and learn to unleash the full potential of their BlackBerry. A decade later, the CrackBerry community is as active and passionate as ever and I know our knowledgeable members and volunteers will be excited to welcome and assist more BlackBerry owners with their questions."

- Kevin Michaluk, Founder, CrackBerry.com

Developers, for more information about the BlackBerry Developer Community please review Join the Conversation on the BlackBerry Developer Community Forums found on Inside BlackBerry.

New Contributor
My Device: 9700
My Carrier: Rogers

Cannot setup new playbook since there is no wifi

Got a new playbook and was able to connect to wifi. Did the update to 2.0. But on reboot got the activation wizard and no wifi.

So how can I get wifi to work or activate the playbook without wifi. I tried the hard reset by doing the power+up+down volume combo but it comes back to the activation.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: PlayBook 32 & 64 GB & Torch 9860, Z30
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

Re: Cannot setup new playbook since there is no wifi

Is your wifi switch turned on? Tap the wifi indicator in the top right. Tap switch if it is off.
Trusted Contributor
My Device: PlayBook 16GB + Samsung Galaxy Note
My Carrier: Telus

From what you posted it was connected to your WiFi to allow you to update to 2.0 but upon reboot it lost the WiFi and requires re-activation.

This is not normal as when I did my update to 2.0 over my WiFi I did not have to re-activate my PB and it did not lose the WiFi connectivity.

It works right away after reboot.

Since you can't get to the desktop to enable your WiFi you should call RIM Tech Support to explain your issue and maybe they can re-activate your PB using it's PIN + S/N.

The alternative is to reinstall from scratch.

I would try calling RIM first to save yourself a lot of work reinstaling.

DC-IT
My Device: 9810 and playbook
My Carrier: MTN

My  problem is that my book is new and i have no real wifi cnnection available. Does that mean i can never use it without wifi? what alternatives are there to updating the device for the first time when brand new?

Forums Veteran I
My Device: PlayBook 32 & 64 GB & Torch 9860, Z30
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

The current PlayBook only works on wifi. You can pick up an open wifi signal at many coffee shops, McDonalds , Truck Stops, Some campgrounds. You can also use it connected to your BlackBerry cell phone and access the Internet through the cell phone. You can use the PB without the Internet but you need the Internet to download Apps. There are some Apps that are preloaded that you can use but you will need the Internet to update them.
Next month it is expected that RIM will be launching a new PB model that will use 3G and 4G Networks.
So to upgrade the OS, find some place that has an open wifi network. This generally works well.